Smoked pumpkin porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
So this is my first time making a pumpkin ale, but I just smoked two pie pumpkins over maple until they were soft and I'm adding them to the mash of my regular porter recipe. Anyone else ever try this? Also, can anyone suggest how much spice to add to a pumpkin porter? I'm using cinnimon, clove, and allspice; just not sure how much I should use.

Clove will over power a beer and the 1/8 tsp i added to make a spiced pumpkin beer may kill it. I never have spiced pumpkin before and never will again. The smoking with maple syrup sounds great.

It wasn't syrup, I smoked the pumpkin with maple wood. Cut them in half and smoked them till soft, then spooned it out of the skin and mixed it in the mash. So you don't put spice in pumpkin beer?

I added 3 tsp of pie spice to mine bc my whole pumpkin didn't impart much flavor. I also added 1.5 tsp of cinnamon, 0.75 nutmeg, and 1 tsp of allspice. I turned out pretty good.

I just made my pumpkin ale on Friday. For my 11gal batch I used about 12 whole cinnamon sticks (cheap at an indian market if you can get to one), maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, and a half teaspoon of fresh ground nutmeg. Use separate spices not pumpkin pie spice mix. The spice mix is just a combination of all the listed spices so you if you do use it don't double up on spices except for maybe cinnamon if you want more of that. For a 5 gal batch I'd go to half what I used and add the spices at the last 10 min in the boil.

I like the idea of the smoked pumpkin. I actually added 1.75lbs of cherry wood smoked malt to my recipe to give it a very light hint of smoke.

I too just smoked 3 pie pumpkins over apple wood. I was thinking of brewing a standard pumpkin ale with them (only smoky). However, I like the sound of a smoked pumpkin porter. pmkealiher, how did yours turn out?
Should I use an american ale yeast or an English yeast suited for a Porter?
Has anyone else done this and if so, feel free to weigh in on your results.

Back