Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oktoberfests
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Chuginator
Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho
Liked 93 Times on 60 Posts

I'm on a mission later today to find out which one I like best!

Life is tough sometimes!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Runyanka
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Providence Village, Texas
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Paulaner is a solid choice. I really like spatans as well

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
HSB
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Arnold, MD
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I remember REALLY loving the Sam Adams version last year, but I'm not feeling the 12 pack I just picked up. Strange....it just seems to have an odd after taste.

Samples of the O-fest I've been lagering for a few months are mighty tastey. Can't wait to tap it fully for a party next weekend.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

You should throw out the Beck's. It is incredibly nasty.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Wichita, KS
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Spaten and Paulaner are very good, Sam Adams is a solid O-fest. I don't know the other two.

You're missing out by not including Weihenstephaner or Ayinger. Hacker-Pschorr probably does one, too.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 475 Times on 383 Posts

I've got an Ayinger and a Hacker-Pschorr in the fridge that I am planning on cracking soon.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Chuginator
Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho

Correct, Hacker-Pschorr does one also, and I'd love to try the Weihenstephaner and Ayinger. Some day.

Today, my observations were that the two American versions were out of the running from the get-go. Just too much flavor for the style. The Germans have been doing this forever, and naturally all three of them were brilliant. What I did not expect was, Becks overcoming Paulaner and Spaten. I couldn't believe it.

The Becks had a very, very wonderful nose of grain and caramel. The finish had a bit of Tootsy Rolls. Absolutely fantastic and spot-on. You could just smell the decoction happening in the brewery.

However, I'm not going to claim that Becks is my favorite of those three German varieties yet, because my nose started getting a bit sniffly and I think it was affecting my taster. Plus, these were one after the other, not side-by-side in sampler glasses.

In any case, I love Autumn.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
fxdrider
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Stafford, VA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I really like the Sam Adams I got this year. It has a really nice malt flavor, preceded of course by the malt aroma. I also had some of the Paulaner on tap at a local Oktoberfest - it was SUPERB! I need to try brewing my own next year.
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit!

Trinken Sie das Bier, das hat Sie gebraut!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
Chuginator
Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho

Me too, man - I'd love to brew an Oktoberfest. So much more palatable in the long-term than a pumpkin beer for this time of year!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
snevey
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Dover, PA
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've been on an Oktoberfest kick since the beginning of September. I've gotta say, from the couple I've had, I did enjoy the Sam Adams Oktoberfest the most, and the Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest was probably the one that I enjoyed the least.

It could be that I've never had an authentic German style Oktoberfest. The one I had, can't remember the name, said it was authentic, but it looked more like a miller lite then an Oktoberfest.