Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Mash paddle/canoe paddle

Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
WestCoastHopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash paddle/canoe paddle

I've been feeling a lack of mash paddle lately, and now realize that those crappy plastic spoons are a poor substitute.

I did a little digging on easy homemade paddles and realized that a Child's canoe paddle should fit the bill. I found one cheap at the local sporting goods store.I was a little concerned (probably needlessly) over the varnish, so I sanded down to bare wood before drilling some holes. An 1 1/2" hole saw made for some nice dough-ball breaking goodness. I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3424660790.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	34979   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3598663481.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	34980  
Primary 3 Air
KeggedApfelwein, Air :(
Bottled Apfelwein, Da Yopper Pale
greenstar Likes This 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I bought a broken oar at auction, for a dollar, cut it down at both ends, sanded, and drilled the holes. Works good but I think I'll make one out of hardwood next. I agree on the crappy spoons. I had a 7 year old spoon that finally broke on me so I bought another one. I thought it was identical but it's not even close. It bends and looks more beat up after a couple of uses than the old one. They changed the plastic on them. I use it only to stir wort and not mash.