WLP500 vs WLP550 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP500 vs WLP550

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
theonetrueruss
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
theonetrueruss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Woodstock, GA
Posts: 863
Liked 50 Times on 36 Posts



Ok, so I seem to be gravitating to WLP550 for may Belgian styles. When I do it in a dark strong it confuses people with the aroma. I love the taste.

My preference is to use 550 and 500 and let it age for 6 months but I don't have that much patience all the time.

I'm thinking I'll try 500 next time I do a BDS.

What yeast do you folks prefer for a BDS?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
drkaeppel
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Lewisville, TX
Posts: 314
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Never tried WLP550 but I LOVE WLP500. Used it twice now. I just made a batch of The Pious (Westvleteren 12 style Ale). Tasted it right out of primary and it was fantastic! (dark fruit, malty, caramelly). Fermented between 79-82 degrees. OG was 1.09, FG was 1.012.
__________________
-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Piratwolf
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drkaeppel
Never tried WLP550 but I LOVE WLP500. Used it twice now. I just made a batch of The Pious (Westvleteren 12 style Ale). Tasted it right out of primary and it was fantastic! (dark fruit, malty, caramelly). Fermented between 79-82 degrees. OG was 1.09, FG was 1.012.
That sounds amazing, drkaeppel. I'm planning my first BDS and would welcome any tips. I'm thinking wlp500 also for the dark fruits. Did you pitch one vial or more? Starter? If so, what size?

Thanks for any advice you all can give.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GuldTuborg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
OH
Posts: 4,523
Liked 941 Times on 645 Posts


For BDSs, I prefer the Westmalle (530/3787) and Rochefort (540/1762) strains. Everyone's tastes are different, though, so try some of the respective beers and see which ones you like best.

If you use 530, know that it tastes quite a bit different depending upon how it's used. Westmalle, Achel, and Westvleteren all use the same yeast, quite a bit differently, and achieve fairly different products. The same could be said for nearly any yeast, I suppose, but it's uncommon to find commercial examples of the same yeast used differently like this.
__________________
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Piratwolf
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg
For BDSs, I prefer the Westmalle (530/3787) and Rochefort (540/1762) strains. Everyone's tastes are different, though, so try some of the respective beers and see which ones you like best.

If you use 530, know that it tastes quite a bit different depending upon how it's used. Westmalle, Achel, and Westvleteren all use the same yeast, quite a bit differently, and achieve fairly different products. The same could be said for nearly any yeast, I suppose, but it's uncommon to find commercial examples of the same yeast used differently like this.
Thanks, Guld!

I just had Roche 10 about an hour ago to compare with Abt 12. VERY different, in lots of ways. I think imay have to wait a little longer to do more research. This is deep water
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
Shaggyt
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 156
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've used both the 500 and 550 in split batches of belgian pale and tripel recipes. 500 was more fruity and complex, but difficult to flocculate. 550 was cleaner (better cold crash drop out) and spicier but sort of "simple" in flavor profile.

I then tried the 570 for a Duvel clone...excellent strain there as well.

FWIW, the fermentation schedule makes all the difference with Belgian strains...ramping up temps to bring out the esters and such.

Good luck on the BDS!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Piratwolf
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyt
I've used both the 500 and 550 in split batches of belgian pale and tripel recipes. 500 was more fruity and complex, but difficult to flocculate. 550 was cleaner (better cold crash drop out) and spicier but sort of "simple" in flavor profile.

I then tried the 570 for a Duvel clone...excellent strain there as well.

FWIW, the fermentation schedule makes all the difference with Belgian strains...ramping up temps to bring out the esters and such.

Good luck on the BDS!
Great info! Thank you!

I read in "Brew Like a Monk" that it's wise to pitch low-ish (68?) and the let it free rise. Has that been your experience? Should I not even use use my ferm chamber?
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GuldTuborg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
OH
Posts: 4,523
Liked 941 Times on 645 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I just had Roche 10 about an hour ago
That's a crazy good beer, isn't it? Love the subtle dark, stewed fruit flavors.

This chart may help, too:http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf
__________________
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,905
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


I used WLP550 in a Belgian Blonde and while it's close to what I wanted it just came out a little too sweet. It had a lot of what I was looking for, but definitely was missing some spiciness or something you tend to get a lot from with Trappist style beers.

edit: I definitely got some banana in the aroma too

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Shaggyt
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 156
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Great info! Thank you!

I read in "Brew Like a Monk" that it's wise to pitch low-ish (68?) and the let it free rise. Has that been your experience? Should I not even use use my ferm chamber?
I have not read that one though I'm sure the advice within holds more weight than mine, but that's essentially the same practice I employed with these yeasts. I used my ferm chamber (dual stage-heat & cool) to ramp up the temps upwards of 84F on the 570, just up to 80F on the 550/500 batches.

I think you'd be spot on at 68F...now I think I need to go revive some of these yeasts for you've inspired me!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WLP550 - What to brew? petep1980 Fermentation & Yeast 2 07-28-2011 10:23 PM
Expired WLP550 ChickenHops Fermentation & Yeast 2 07-06-2011 06:43 PM
WLP550 fastest krausen Pivzavod Fermentation & Yeast 2 06-01-2010 08:33 PM
WLP550 (Belgian Ale Yeast) Max ABV %? MellowToad Fermentation & Yeast 2 05-08-2010 04:12 AM
wlp550 temps lpdb185 Fermentation & Yeast 3 05-03-2010 12:36 AM


Forum Jump