Small wrinkled patch on kokmbucha mother? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Small wrinkled patch on kokmbucha mother?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
brewinginct
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well I've grown my scoby to the point where I'm ready to grow a 1 gallon batch of kombucha.

Problem is, there's this weird wrinkled patch on the surface of the scoby. It's the same color as the scoby itself, and it isn't fuzzy so I'm pretty sure it's not mold. The rest of the scoby looks fine it's just this one patch.

It's maybe about the size of a thumbprint, and looks like it has the texture of wrinkled skin?

Anyways here are some pics, I'd really like to make my one gallon batch today but I also don't want to get sick from sketchy kombucha. Let me know what you think!

edit: Looks like the pictures aren't showing up in the thread for some reason, here's an alternatve link http://imgur.com/a/Eozqh

Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 43 Times on 34 Posts

back when i was making kombucha, there was always weird things like that on the mother, i wouldn't sweat it.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

It's just a little dried out patch, shouldn't affect anything. When the CO2 from the fermentation rises it will sometimes push a little section of the scoby out of the liquid and it will dry out being exposed to the air. Happens to mine all the time (sometimes it's like half the scoby if you get enough gasses coming up). Nothing to worry about at all!