help with recipe ideas with limited hops - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > help with recipe ideas with limited hops

Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
thoughtsonhops
Recipes 

May 2011
portland, Oregon

So I want to brew a beer with only the hops I grew myself. There are a couple problems. First, for whatever reason, I only got ~1oz Chinook and ~0.8oz Centennial. Second, I would like the beer to be something autumn-like.

I was thinking an Oatmeal Pale Ale, 'cause I had Fort George's Sunrise OPA. And I really liked it. Also I was playing with the idea of a Rye Pale Ale, I've never had a Rye beer, but I'd imagine it to be kinda piney, although I've heard they're great summer beers. I was also thinking of a red/amber just cause I have limited hops.

I kinda want to stay away from pumpkin type beers, I like them, but not five gallons worth.

So any suggestions for something I haven't thought of or on what I have thought of? (and as the sub-form suggests, extract)

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts

are those hop weights wet or dry? you'll need about 5 times as much wet vs dry. in any case, I wouldn't waste your fresh hops bittering with them if thats all you have.

how about a marzen with the fresh hops thrown in at flameout? its not exactly to style, but its autumny and a good use of the hops

Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3666 Times on 3150 Posts

An amber ale would work with that amount of hops. Or an APA,given the types of hops.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Cromwell
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts

Scottish Ales don't use much hops, because Scots can't grow hops. The only problem is you'd have to let it condition for a while, and if you wanted to taste your hops (to see if they're good) you won't taste them much.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
thoughtsonhops
Recipes 

May 2011
portland, Oregon

These are dried hops. Thanks for the suggestion for the marzen. I'll look into it. Still I'm leaning towards something with only homegrown hops. It should be about a $20 batch if beer, so no huge loss.

Since I'm not positive about the AA% any chance I would have a too sweet or too bitter beer? The hops smelt good, and the Lupulin looked about right.