Reducing agents for oxidation? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Reducing agents for oxidation?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
togabear
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
New York, NY
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I recently got a keezer, and it has improved my beer drastically. However, I used a blow off tube for the first time in the keezer, and then cold crashed. DOH! I have read about this 100 times, should have known. My dubbel was slightly oxidized in the process, which sucks.

Has anyone tried using redox reactions with food safe chemicals to remove this? Are there any food safe options that will flock out of solution? The batch is ruined because it was for a competition, and I don't want to submit anything less than perfect. Anyone in the food industry!?

If no one has ideas, I will just give it to unsuspecting friends as the oxidize flavor blends ok with the clove flavor, and I am being picky.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Hex
 
Hex's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Granite Bay, CA
Posts: 952
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts


Don't shoot the guesser, never tried this, but have noticed strong antioxidant properties with potassium metabisulfite, then force carb...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
mc_eric
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 335
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


If it already tastes oxidized, I don't think there is anything you can do to reverse it. Sulfite will help prevent oxidation, but it won't fix oxidation once it's already happened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,370
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts


Since when is using a blow-off tube in a keezer and cold crashing a source for oxidation?

And, "some" reports suggest very small doses of cinimon as an anti-oxidant.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
carrotmalt
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
.
Posts: 477
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by togabear View Post
I recently got a keezer, and it has improved my beer drastically. However, I used a blow off tube for the first time in the keezer, and then cold crashed. DOH! I have read about this 100 times, should have known. My dubbel was slightly oxidized in the process, which sucks.

Has anyone tried using redox reactions with food safe chemicals to remove this? Are there any food safe options that will flock out of solution? The batch is ruined because it was for a competition, and I don't want to submit anything less than perfect. Anyone in the food industry!?

If no one has ideas, I will just give it to unsuspecting friends as the oxidize flavor blends ok with the clove flavor, and I am being picky.
I'm confused. So did the cold crash suck all of your blow off water (sanitizer or whatever) into the beer and now it's drawing air in? If so, I don't see oxidation being the chief concern as much as what was in the blow off trap.
__________________
I like a little more beer in my beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Since when is using a blow-off tube in a keezer and cold crashing a source for oxidation?
I'm totally lost on this as a source of oxidation as well.

Quote:

And, "some" reports suggest very small doses of cinimon as an anti-oxidant.
Charlie Papazian talked about it in an old Basic Brewing podcast. He adds it to the mash tun. He said it doesn't affect the flavor at all, but does have anti-oxidation properties. Don't know if it's true or not...
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
BensBrewNY
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
New York, NY
Posts: 2

Sorry for not being clear, wrote that while rushing out for work.

Yes, when cold crashing, the blow off tube sucked all the sanitizer from the jar, then it sucked in air. I didn't touch it for a week after cold crashing, so it was sitting there with air in the head space, oxidizing it.

Like I said, its not a major flavor (malt and yeast are dominant), but does have an apparent taste of wet cardboard in the background that covers up all the rummy sugar flavors that make dubbels great.

Hope this clarifies. Anyone got any ideas? Just looking for an experiment to try with a flawed beer. BTW, I am relaxed, and I will have a homebrew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,370
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts


I am doubtful that the suck back is the source of oxidation as the sanitizer jar would have also been purged by CO2. Have never tasted a beer with a healthy dose of sanitizer but, I don't expect it'd be very pleasant.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
LVBen
 
LVBen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,343
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I am doubtful that the suck back is the source of oxidation as the sanitizer jar would have also been purged by CO2. Have never tasted a beer with a healthy dose of sanitizer but, I don't expect it'd be very pleasant.

You should try to avoid that suckback in the future, but your staleness/off-flavors are probably coming from somewhere else.

Did you do all of these:
1. Pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast. Use a starter if necessary.
2. Ferment at the correct temperatures. (Internal temperature, not the ambient temperature.)
3. Sanitize all of your equipment that makes contact with the cooled wort/finished beer.
4. Condition your beer over 3 weeks minimum. Even longer for high gravity beers like dubbels.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clarity Ferm - Does reducing the gluten content of beer change its character? ArcaneXor General Beer Discussion 7 07-16-2011 02:33 PM
Reducing categories of beer for contest ed_brews_now General Beer Discussion 11 03-24-2011 01:15 PM
Adding flavoring agents to secondary fermentation zhooker General Beer Discussion 0 09-10-2010 03:25 AM
Tips on reducing water consumption? jamie3 General Beer Discussion 22 07-07-2010 03:36 PM
Priming Agents eaglewwit General Beer Discussion 2 07-06-2009 11:47 PM


Forum Jump