12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation - Page 25 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #241
commonsenseman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 553
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I wouldnt be opposed to adding some peated or smoked malt to this one either.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
When my oak barrel is not filled with beer it is filled with water to keep it from drying out. the water is treated with citric acid and sodium metabisulphite to keep it critter free. this has greatly mellowed the barrel, and there is very little whiskey flavor left at this point. I hope to make use of it for this beer.
Sounds like a great plan, wish I had an oak barrel to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

98% base malt (golden promise or maris otter)
~2% roasted barley
(optional) 2-5% crystal malt
(optional) 1-3% smoked malt

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

british hops at 45 and 35 minutes

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

You know, just something like that.
In my mind, this recipe is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
You are allowed to deviate all you want, but that's not the purpose of this swap. The purpose of this is to brew the exact same recipe so everyone can experience how the same recipe can be different.
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of this swap for me.

There are at least a few of this who won't be participating if not allowed some wiggle room. I will probably still brew something like this, but won't be swapping since my recipe with 1% Smoked Malt isn't good enough for some people.


__________________
"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein
__________________________________________
Bottled: Traditional Wildflower Mead, Burnt Apple Braggot, Apfelwein, Big Ol' Braggot
Kegged: Wee Bit O' Honey

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #242
Cromwell
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 779
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts


Ha. I'd actually planned to brew two batches, one with smoked malt and one without. I'd thought about providing a smoked one to whoever I swapped with in addition, if they were interested.
So, if this doesn't work out in the general case, commonsenseman, I'd be happy to swap with you if you're interested.

Is it too much work to subdivide this into people who want a no-variation recipe, and those who do? I hate to see the idea crumble because of two opposing sides? What if the set recipe people identify themselves as a trading group, and the wiggle room people are just a different trading group?


__________________
Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #243
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman
There are at least a few of this who won't be participating if not allowed some wiggle room. I will probably still brew something like this, but won't be swapping since my recipe with 1% Smoked Malt isn't good enough for some people.
Dude dude dude! Your beer rocks ok? It has nothing to do with not being "good enough". Its just that, in the name of beer geekdom, some want to see how the same recipe will come out, brewed by different brewers, from different parts of the country. Its purely out of curiosity. Its hard to compare how different my beer turns out from yours, when you have a different recipe. Of course it will be quite different. There are NO hard feelings going on in this thread. Ill send you beer, you send me beer. I just want to be able to also exchange with at least 2 others that made the same recipe.

commonsenseman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #244
commonsenseman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 553
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Dude dude dude! Your beer rocks ok? It has nothing to do with not being "good enough". Its just that, in the name of beer geekdom, some want to see how the same recipe will come out, brewed by different brewers, from different parts of the country. Its purely out of curiosity. Its hard to compare how different my beer turns out from yours, when you have a different recipe. Of course it will be quite different. There are NO hard feelings going on in this thread. Ill send you beer, you send me beer. I just want to be able to also exchange with at least 2 others that made the same recipe.
Alright, alright. Sorry for freaking out. You have a decent enough point.

__________________
"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein
__________________________________________
Bottled: Traditional Wildflower Mead, Burnt Apple Braggot, Apfelwein, Big Ol' Braggot
Kegged: Wee Bit O' Honey

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #245
statseeker
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Sacramento
Posts: 481
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


Wow, we're all just getting along. I feel funny.

I will be trying this recipe with Irish Ale yeast at some point. I feel a winter warmer coming on.
__________________
For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #246
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,802
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


So which recipe is the main agreed upon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Ok let's see if we can get at least 3 or 4 people to agree on this:

MO or Golden Promise (amount variable according to your systems efficiency)
.25 LBs RB
1.095-1.105 OG
1.018-1.025 FG
35 IBU
Wyeast 1728

If anyone else want to add crystal, peated malt, oak, heather or scotch whiskey they can do so, but it would be cool to get at least 3 people on board with this, so we can do a swap based around a unanimous recipe.
OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

98% base malt (golden promise or maris otter)
~2% roasted barley
(optional) 2-5% crystal malt
(optional) 1-3% smoked malt

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

british hops at 45 and 35 minutes

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

You know, just something like that.
I guess they are pretty much the same where as bottlebombers specifies an amount of roasted barley and KBs is based on percentage (and your system). Also, are we talking 30-35 IBUS on Rager or Tinseth? Def interested in this.

Is anyone in the D.C./Maryland area interested in splitting a sack of MO with me for this? Flying Barrel Sells a 55lb sack for $65, which is $1.18/lb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #247
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,915
Liked 130 Times on 107 Posts


I think there are a handful of guys brewing the exact same recipe or as close as they can. That way they can compare their brewing styles/techniques. The others are brewing based on the guide so you have a choice. I just weighed out my specialty grains this morning 6oz extra dark crystal and 6oz roasted barley for a 7.5 gal batch. I'm aiming for 1.100ish.
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #248
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


I'm going to be brewing a special bitter tomorrow that's 93.3% Golden Promise and 6.7% table sugar. Beersmith estimates the color at 3.8 SRM, but I'm going to be doing a kettle caramelization on 1 gallon of first runnings to test the new pot and try to figure out how much color it will add. Should be good practice for the big brew. And a good indicator of how much color the caramelization will add.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #249
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,447
Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I'm going to be brewing a special bitter tomorrow that's 93.3% Golden Promise and 6.7% table sugar. Beersmith estimates the color at 3.8 SRM, but I'm going to be doing a kettle caramelization on 1 gallon of first runnings to test the new pot and try to figure out how much color it will add. Should be good practice for the big brew. And a good indicator of how much color the caramelization will add.
That is a darned good idea! I was thinking of making a lower gravity version of this and use the cake in lieu of a monster starter, maybe I should caramelize a gallon to get a feel for the whole process.

I have caramelized the first runnings on a 1.082 Irish Red, but I never took the caramelization down as far as I plan on doing on this recipe.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #250
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


I was thinking about doing a decoction mash for this as well... I dunno



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Recipe Formulation (come laugh at me!) bjl110 Recipes/Ingredients 14 08-03-2011 04:43 AM
Recipe formulation Pale ale xjncoguyx Recipes/Ingredients 17 05-12-2010 02:45 AM
First recipe formulation - IPA TheTower Recipes/Ingredients 7 03-06-2009 01:59 PM
help with first recipe formulation - RIS kcinpdx Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-19-2009 01:37 AM
Recipe Formulation Panagiotis Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-27-2008 06:34 PM


Forum Jump