Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > falling efficiencies

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
SteveWheeler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default falling efficiencies

Hello all, I've searched the forum and have not found a specific answer to my question. I've been AG brewing for near two years now, and have regularly enjoyed mash efficiencies in the mid 80's. Lately my efficiencies are tanking; as low as 68%, more usually around 75%. No clue why. I use a mix of well water and R/O water for the mash. Have not checked my pH in a long time, so that may be a factor. I use a Barley Crusher, which is set the same as always. Do they get loose with time? I generally mash for up to two hours, and continually sparge by ladling. Sparge time is usually an hour +. I recently bought a bag of Canadian two row (Canada Malting Company), where I used Briess up until now. Any thoughts there? The spec tag was not attached. Thanks for any help, Steve.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

I've noticed a different efficency from bag to bag. Rather the same brand or not. Check your Barley Crusher. It will loosen with time. Do your self a favor and stop by the auto parts store and buy some spark plug gauges. You'll be surprised how far out the rollers have gotten.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
SteveWheeler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I've noticed a different efficency from bag to bag. Rather the same brand or not. Check your Barley Crusher. It will loosen with time. Do your self a favor and stop by the auto parts store and buy some spark plug gauges. You'll be surprised how far out the rollers have gotten.
Thanks, I'll try the gauge. I brewed a batch yesterday that appeared to have a brewhouse efficiency of only 75%, based upon my brewing software's default setting of 36 ppg. Set my crusher tighter today and brewed a batch which appeared to have a 74% efficiency. This is literally 10 points off my average efficiency. Going through my notes, I have noticed that the problem began when I started using this malt. At this point, I am thinking that the potential gravity points of this malt is only about 32 pts/pound. That seems awfully low, but it is the only explanation that makes sense to me. I won't be using Canadian malt again if I find that going back to Briess or Rahr makes the difference.