Thank god for insurance... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Thank god for insurance...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jmendez29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Posts: 1,235
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts



I complain about insurance companies as much as the next guy, but I am really glad I've been paying those premiums. My 14 year old son is in football for his second year. He moves around different positions a lot, but he mostly plays tight end, tackle, and middle defensive back. He's a big kid.

The day before his first game, he broke his finger in practice. Of course its after the doctors have all gone home, so we go to the emergency room. Did he need to be there? No, it's not that bad, but it does need attention, and there's nowhere else to go within 30 miles. So he has a buddy splint on his two fingers on his left hand at the recommendation of the ER doc and the specialist that we had to go see.

Two weeks later, he's in a game and playing hard, like he should be. When we get home, he's complaining about how his legs hurt, and his arms hurt, and his hands hurt. I tell him it was a good game and he played like he should have. The next day (Friday) on the way home from work he tells me his thumb hurts and that the trainer says he needs to see the doc. I get him in, and the doc says at least its not broken, but we do need to see a specialist. We get the referral but its too late to get in. I called monday morning and got a monday afternoon appt. Doc confirms its not broken, but there is some ligament damage. So now he has a big a** cast on his right arm.

Tonight, I'm just sitting at home relaxing. I get a call from my son saying he needs me to pick him up. He hurt his knee in practice and he can't walk. When I went to get him, the trainer said he went knee to knee with another kid. Of course, the other kid is fine, but my boy's knee looks like a great big blueberry. It's not likely he broke anything but just a really bad bruise. We'll see how it goes tonight and if he needs it, I'll bring him to the doc. Again.

I'm pretty sure they have our info on a quick key by now. Fortunately, his mother (my ex-wife) also has insurance. So far, I haven't had to actually pay anything out of my pocket at all.

I know it's nothing compared to what other people have had to go through, but I'm still glad it's actually working out for me now.
__________________
Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
m_c_zero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,022
Liked 207 Times on 147 Posts


Insurance sucks til you need it. You didn't have to pay any co-pay for taking him to the ER?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Darwin18
 
Darwin18's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Posts: 5,343
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by m_c_zero View Post
Insurance sucks til you need it. You didn't have to pay any co-pay for taking him to the ER?
Don't be surprised when you receive a bill from the hospital in about a month.
__________________
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,213
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts


yeah i wouldn't kick back just yet....

hospitals aren't exactly prompt with sending out bills.
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jmendez29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Posts: 1,235
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts


No bills yet. And I'm not expecting any. We both have decent insurance and what my insurance doesn't pick up, her's does. Granted, I haven't had any overnight visits or MRI stuff done, so I'm sure the grand total has been relatively low, but based on past events, I don't think I'll owe anything.
__________________
Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,362
Liked 8609 Times on 6925 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by m_c_zero View Post
Insurance sucks til you need it and you find out all the paying in you've done over the years doesn't cover much and you wind up paying tons out of pocket anyway despite being insured
Fixed, for truth.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,213
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Fixed, for truth.
lol, its true. i probably pay at least as much out of pocket every year as i do in premiums. wtf?? and i work for a fortune 500 company...
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,064
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
lol, its true. i probably pay at least as much out of pocket every year as i do in premiums. wtf?? and i work for a fortune 500 company...
i completely agree with this 1, and i work for a fortune 25... they'll bill you for years, sometimes, with a new charge every time
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
dfc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 3,095
Liked 229 Times on 181 Posts


Insurance picked up about 60K worth of about 80K total medical bills for me a few years ago.
__________________
Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 50,614
Liked 3407 Times on 3249 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
I complain about insurance companies as much as the next guy, but I am really glad I've been paying those premiums. My 14 year old son is in football for his second year. He moves around different positions a lot, but he mostly plays tight end, tackle, and middle defensive back. He's a big kid.

The day before his first game, he broke his finger in practice. Of course its after the doctors have all gone home, so we go to the emergency room. Did he need to be there? No, it's not that bad, but it does need attention, and there's nowhere else to go within 30 miles. So he has a buddy splint on his two fingers on his left hand at the recommendation of the ER doc and the specialist that we had to go see.

Two weeks later, he's in a game and playing hard, like he should be. When we get home, he's complaining about how his legs hurt, and his arms hurt, and his hands hurt. I tell him it was a good game and he played like he should have. The next day (Friday) on the way home from work he tells me his thumb hurts and that the trainer says he needs to see the doc. I get him in, and the doc says at least its not broken, but we do need to see a specialist. We get the referral but its too late to get in. I called monday morning and got a monday afternoon appt. Doc confirms its not broken, but there is some ligament damage. So now he has a big a** cast on his right arm.

Tonight, I'm just sitting at home relaxing. I get a call from my son saying he needs me to pick him up. He hurt his knee in practice and he can't walk. When I went to get him, the trainer said he went knee to knee with another kid. Of course, the other kid is fine, but my boy's knee looks like a great big blueberry. It's not likely he broke anything but just a really bad bruise. We'll see how it goes tonight and if he needs it, I'll bring him to the doc. Again.

I'm pretty sure they have our info on a quick key by now. Fortunately, his mother (my ex-wife) also has insurance. So far, I haven't had to actually pay anything out of my pocket at all.

I know it's nothing compared to what other people have had to go through, but I'm still glad it's actually working out for me now.
Amen to that. This past year my daughter accumulated a million+ in doctor bills in her 2 short months of life. Luckily my wife is a teacher and has amazing insurance. I don't think we even had a grand out of pocket.

Like said above, insurance sucks, until you need it.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Life Insurance... hatfieldenator General Chit Chat 18 09-01-2011 06:13 PM
Any car insurance guru on here? maxamuus General Chit Chat 9 12-14-2010 12:17 AM
Let's talk auto insurance FireBrewer General Chit Chat 36 08-24-2008 02:47 PM
Pet insurance NitrouStang96 General Chit Chat 27 06-25-2008 03:55 PM
Health Insurance TxBrew General Chit Chat 22 07-16-2007 06:07 PM


Forum Jump