Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Three questions about Midwest kits

Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Dolemite78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Three questions about Midwest kits

Saturday was my brew day and I completed 2 five gallon batches. My brew day went like this;

Proper sanitation of everything to start the day

Brewed the Midwest Watney's Cream stout

Re-sanitized everything

Took aluminum kettle that I had just used, cleaned with a sponge, very little soap and hot water. Started a new batch in said kettle of Coastal Wheat also from Midwest.

Two observations, that may be completely normal as I'm not familiar with either kit.

1. The Cream Stout had a distinct burnt coffee flavor. Not undesireable at all, just a pronounced flavor. It may mellow, or maybe it's intended. Wondering if anyone has brewed it and knows the characteristics of this beer prior to fermentation. My fear is that I may have scorched it, first time brewing with all dry components, but I had a good stir going. I didn't see any residue on the bottom of the kettle after I transferred the wort.

2. The Coastal Wheat was far darker than any wheat brew I have ever did. While it had a cloudy, yellowish hue to it, the overall color was as dark, if not darker than many Amber's I've brewed. The taste was amazing, quite a bit sweeter than most Wheat's I've had. Wondering if brewing the darker beer first had some kind of impact on the color of this one. I figure it's not likely since I cleaned my kettle very well, but not sure.

3. I plan on racking at least half of the Wheat up as a Peach Wheat. Any recommendations on how much Peach extract to use? I was thinking about an oz per gallon. I recently added 1 oz of Orange extract to a gallon of Autumn Amber and it was way overpowering, gave me lots of heartburn. I ended up having to cut it with 3/4 a glass of non-flavored Autumn Amber to make it taste good. Conversley I added 1 oz of Cherry extract to a seperate gallon of A.A. Ale and the taste was great, however the Cherry flavor seemed a little understated.

Appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Dolemite78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not Coastal Wheat but Boundry Waters Wheat. Sorry I was confused.