Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Temperature question

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
JonnyO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature question

I live in Mobile, AL and our weather is crazy. When I started my brew on Sat. we had a high of 55 degrees. Today our high will be around 80. My beer in in mid-fermentation and I've been able to keep the temperature constant by using a wet towel over the primary. My question is more about the secondary. Is temperature still critical when the beer is clearing for a couple of weeks, or is it ok to have some more ups and downs. Just planning ahead since my house can vary in temperature a lot during the warm months (which in Mobile is March-November). Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
mot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Im a newb but for the best beer your temerature should be consistant even in your secondary, there is still millions of yeast cells in your beer, and the high temperature can still cause some bad flavors

Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I try not to let my secondary get over 70 deg. Ideally I keep it at 60. Also, consistency is just as important as overall temp.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 04-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Moonpile

Recipes 

I used to brew in Albuquerque and didn't have a basement, so I can sympathize!

I just put the fermenter in a keg bucket with water and draped old t-shirts over the top to wick up moisture. I'd throw a tray or two of ice into the water as needed.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 127 Posts

After having a few high-gravity ales go nuts, I built one of these to keep my fermentation at a lower temperature:
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

I've tested it and it works great at all temperatures. I haven't really had to use it yet, though, living in california. my apartment stays at about 75, and the closet where i keep my brews is pretty steady between 68-73 lately. This summer it will get much hotter, though, and i'll get a chance to really see it in action.

Also, it doesn't do anything for heating...so don't know what to really do about those 55 degree nights, except keep it inside where it's warmer.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
JonnyO
Recipes 

Thanks for all the advice as always. Eventually, I'll probably get an old used fridge or freezer with an external thermostat, so I can just set at whatever temp I want.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
myc1034
Recipes 

Default fridge works great

I got an old fridge off of a friend (For free) and its been working greet. i put a remote wireless thermometer in it and just been watching the temp from my kitchen whenever I pass by. I hired the wife to watch it when im at work. I just need some tech help on replacing the thermostat because the warmest the fridge gets is 50F so a little cool for ale.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 127 Posts

yeah, that was my problem with doing it with a fridge. you have to change out thermometers or something...haven't really got a clear answer on how to do it exactly and to tell you the truth, it would be too bulky for my apartment right now, anyway.