Weizenbock Hefferweizen - imperial hefe/weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabass07

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
weihenstephan
Yeast Starter
3L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
19 rager
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Pitch at 56F, ferment at 64F.
Tasting Notes
Light banana esters. Bready malt flavor. No alcohol hotness. It\'s sneaky.
All grain 6g batch

9lb wheat malt
6lb Marris otter
.5lb rice rice hulls

Mash:
Mash in 130F for 10 mins
Decoction to 152F for 60 mins
Decoction to 168F for 10 mins

1oz hallertaur (4.7) 60 mins
.5oz hallertaur (4.7) 15 mins

Pitch at 56F. Let it rise to 64F. After 5 days, let it rise to 74 for another 5 days.

Bottled with 250g of DME for about 2.8vol carbonation.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.012
ABV 7.6%

Recipe is interesting. How did it turn out? Why did you use marris otter instead of German pils? Why did you choose to bottle with DME instead of corn sugar? Do you normally bottle with corn sugar or DME?

Ooops. Almost a year late on the reply. I used MO because I feel that it compliments the wheat. It's has a lot more character than pilsner. It's considerably more malty than a typical hefe with pilsner. It turned out great. Bready and biscuity with a little clove. Barely any banana. Next time I make it, I'll let it sit in primary for another few days. There was a touch of sulfur left over.

I always bottle with DME. I've used corn sugar and never had any issues with it, but for some reason I just prefer DME. You could use corn sugar to hit 2.8vol carbonation.

I'd also do a 30 min ferulic acid rest at 109F and skip the protein rest at 130 next time I make this. Overall, it's an excellent recipe and one of the few I've made that ended up exactly as I wanted.

Back