Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Back sweetening an IPA that finished too dry

Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear View Post
Hello everybody. I have a question that I haven't been able to find a good answer to.

I read the wiki article on back sweetening: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...ack_sweetening

But the advice wasn't specific enough.

I have a 5 gallon batch of double ipa just fnishing primary right now. The yeast really went to town, and I've ended up with a FG of 1.013. It's too bitter for my taste with all the hops I put in. I was expecting it to finish a few points higher.

Would lactose be a good choice for back sweetening this beer, or should I use something else? I've seen maltodextrin mentioned. How much back sweetener should I use to bump my beer back up to about 1.016?

Or will this taste weird, and I should just leave it be?

Thanks for the help!
You are confusing sweetness and maltiness. Adding a sweetener to this beer is not the answer. Take the advice already given and just leave the beer alone.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
TopGear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll just leave it be, and tweak the recipe next time around.