how much gravity does 1pound of sugar add? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > how much gravity does 1pound of sugar add?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
baddagger
Recipes 
 
May 2011
, ri
Posts: 247
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



how much gravit points does a pound of table sugar add to one gallon of cider?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
cimirie
 
cimirie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Orlando, FL
Posts: 800
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by baddagger
how much gravit points does a pound of table sugar add to one gallon of cider?
~0.008
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!


Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
baddagger
Recipes 
 
May 2011
, ri
Posts: 247
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


is there anything that i can use that will add more gravity points for pound to pound ratio to the table sugar?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 532
Liked 58 Times on 43 Posts


I'm new at this, but is seems like using a champagne yeast will consume a higher percentage of sugars and give you more gravity points per unit of sugar? I just made a cider with champagne yeast and a little brown sugar added to the juice, and mine ended about .990. I think ale yeast like Nottingham will leave more sugar behind and end over 1.
__________________
_______________________________________________
Cheers,
Nick

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
SteveHoward
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Busan (부산), Korea (대한민국)
Posts: 156
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


A few references on this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/calc...ar-add-152813/

(It is said that 1 lb of sugar adds .046 onto SG of 1 gal)

I'm keeping this next one stored after finding it on another thread in this site:

http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/sugar.html

That one has tables for SG to target for ABV, etc. Pretty good stuff (although I haven't verified any of it from experience yet ).

I had a site that showed equivalent of different sweeteners if you wanted to substitute, but ... I'm having a little trouble locating that link right now. There is a difference depending on brown vs. white or honey vs. white from what I remember of reading that link, but I don't remember the conversions (thought I'd be able to locate it again pretty easily).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
cimirie
 
cimirie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Orlando, FL
Posts: 800
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward
A few references on this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/calc...ar-add-152813/

(It is said that 1 lb of sugar adds .046 onto SG of 1 gal)

I'm keeping this next one stored after finding it on another thread in this site:

http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/sugar.html

That one has tables for SG to target for ABV, etc. Pretty good stuff (although I haven't verified any of it from experience yet ).

I had a site that showed equivalent of different sweeteners if you wanted to substitute, but ... I'm having a little trouble locating that link right now. There is a difference depending on brown vs. white or honey vs. white from what I remember of reading that link, but I don't remember the conversions (thought I'd be able to locate it again pretty easily).
All of the dry sugars are pretty much 40-46 points per pound per gallon. There is very little difference in gravity between them. Not enough to make a significant difference in abv, anyways.

OP, as far as sugars go, nothing is really going to add more pints per pound. They're all in the same ballpark.

Somebody mentioned yeast... Champaign yeast does tend to attenuate out drier, but in a purely simple sugar environment like cider, all yeasts will attenuate real close o 1.000 assuming the starting gravity wasn't huge.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!


Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar eating pattern of yeast (redisual VS dextrose or cane sugar) naeco Cider Forum 5 03-31-2011 05:13 PM
Using Residual Sugar as Priming Sugar in Bottle and then Keg Conditioning SacredBrew Cider Forum 4 02-25-2011 10:23 PM
At what gravity to bottle if no sugar is added for carbonation ? naeco Cider Forum 12 12-16-2010 04:27 AM
Sugar, Honey, Brown Sugar... The taste test. Brewin_CRAZY Cider Forum 26 11-16-2010 05:46 AM
Cane sugar vs. brown sugar for grape cider drunken_scottsman Cider Forum 9 11-10-2008 03:12 AM


Forum Jump