Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spice amount for Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Praiodan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Spice amount for Oatmeal Stout

Hi all!

I'm brewing up 10 gallons of an Oatmeal Stout for the holidays and want to 'spice' it up a bit.

I want to use the following spices, but unsure of how much to use:

Cinnamon - amount for 10 gallons?
Nutmeg - amount for 10 gallons?
Vanilla - I used this in a burbon porter before using whiskey to extract the scraped vanilla from the beans.

Anyone have a preference on when to add the spices? 5 mins, flameout?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I always add the spices at flameout. Aromatics are volatile so they'll boil off. I generally start at about 5grams per spice on 5gal batches, and scale up from there if I want more taste on the next batch. A little bit goes a long way and it's easy to overspice beer.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Praiodan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks man, I'll give it a try!