Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Keggle sight glass angle?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keggle sight glass angle?

I have been searching for about a week on the best placement for a welded coupling for a sight glass on a keg.

I watched Bobby's and others' videos about it, but I am not sure if I should just put the coupling on the flatter area above the bend (seems easiest) and get the straight-sided sight glass...or will I still need the slightly-angled sight glass either way?

I have never seen a keggle in person, or I could probably figure this simple task out! I want the sight glass to be straight and not all crooked (which I am picturing is a possibility). Unfortunately, I have to rely on the interwebs videos and explanations and it is not making any sense to me!

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I put mine higher up on my BK along the flat spot. I cannot read anything lower than 4 gallons Not entirely a big deal since I do 10 gallon batches but I can see it being a bit of a problem if this was on an HLT or MLT or youre doing 5 gallon batches. So take that for what its worth. This is in a Natty Light keggle.

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1342 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This is more an issue with the weldless kits. If you are welding a coupling in you can make it straight regardless of keg wall angle.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmmm...I guess I never thought of that, Bobby. So, should I just plan on welding the coupling in straight, but below the curve, and getting the straight-sided sight glass from your store?

This is an old AB keg, if it makes a difference?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Good point Bobby, I didnt see that OP specified welded. Mine is in fact weldless. I guess you just have to weld it in level and make sure you have enough offset to avoid the bump in the keg with the sightglass.

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1342 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Keep in mind that you can add a 1/4" NPT half coupling on to my SL kit. Really there is no sense in welding a 1/2" coupling in when the SL kit threads directly into 1/4" NPT.

Also, if you weld a coupling in and it ends up not being exactly level, you can thread a piece of pipe in to use as a lever and tweak the vessel wall a touch.