Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Keggle Question

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keggle Question

Okay guys, so I have a line on a keg to make into a boil kettle, but there is one little hang up - it has been filled with sand for weight. Now, kegs are very hard to come by in this area, so I need to know whether this will have any negative impacts on the keg. He is selling it for $35. Unfortunately I cant see in the keg due to the valve that was replaced after it was filled with sand... What issues could I have (I am thinking bacteria, scratches on the inside of the keg; I dont imagine it is high quality, super fine sand...)?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do you have any pics? Is this a standard, straight-sided sanke keg?

If its just filled with sand, you should be OK. I would assume if the outside looks to be in good shape, the inside can't be any worse.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I wouldn't be too worried, shouldn't be too hard to get the sand out - remove the spear, turn upside down and flush with water is what I would do. The sand shouldn't scratch the SS much and don't worry about bacteria/bugs as a quick clean and boiling some water would get rid of those. As long as it is not too beat up I would go for it. Try get the seller to remove the sand (or let you do it at their place) because lugging around a sand filled sanke is not going to be good for you back

Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good. Will talk to this guy again, and go check it out make sure the rest of it is in good shape.