Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brew kettle help BIAB

Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
flyfisherwes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew kettle help BIAB

I need to buy a new brew kettle. I am using a aluminum turkey frier at the moment and I want a bigger stainless kettle suitable for brew in a bag. I like doing stronger beers like double IPAs an the such but I want to go ahead and get a do all kettle so I spend less in the long run. I'm looking for a good deal on an acceptable kettle for this. Any help would be appreciated. Ex size recs (I'm thinking 10-12 gallon) and links or specific kettle recs.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 52

There are several good kettles out there. Look for 18 gauge and preferably a sandwiched bottom.
Best low cost is a keggle (kettle made from a keg). There are lots of add-on parts made for them, they can be had relatively cheap and they can really take a beating too.

In my not so humble opinion you should avoid Blichmann kettles, thin, overpriced and weldless.

Did I just open a Pandora's box?
It boils down to budget and DIY abilities. MoreBeer sells excellent kettles if you have the money.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Hanks for the response I have DIY ability. Quite a bit actually. Budget isn't really a big issue. I am willing to spend on a kettle. But I don't want to be wasteful either. I want something that will last and suit my purpose. Ive only done 7 extract batches and started 11 weeks ago

Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I currently do 5.5 gal BIAB batches using a 10-gal Blichmann kettle and it has worked great. No complaints whatsoever. Do you need to spend that much on a kettle? Not at all. There are many cheaper options out there to choose from.

Another option is to build a keggle if you can find a keg. It requires only basic DIY skills to make one. If I were to do it all over again I would probably build a keggle because they are tough and they hold 15.5 gal.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Are they just regular kegs like miller lite and stuff come in? I had one of these that I may be able to get back.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisherwes View Post
Are they just regular kegs like miller lite and stuff come in? I had one of these that I may be able to get back.
Yes, just make sure it's not still owned by a beverage distributor (a.k.a. illegal)
There are alot of web pages and YouTube videos on modifying kegs

take a look at these mods: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brew...ml#post3265890

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Cool thanks. I guess it was owned by them but what is a deposit for? It's gone now though. I asked

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Also aren't kegs aluminum? Isn't that bad for boiling wort in?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Kegs are stainless steel by FDA law. Check CraigsList There are several here in the SF Bay area for sale right now. I have 2 uncut kegs for $50 each...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Aluminum is fine to boil wort in. I use a 15 gallon aluminum pot that came with a lid and strainer. My beer has been tasting fine. It's also pretty light, which is nice when pouring my beer into my fermenter. I may install a spigot so I can do 10 gallon batches.