Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizer shelf life?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
PenPen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizer shelf life?

I'm a new brewer. I used one-step as a sanitizer, and every time I need to take a gravity ready, I'm making a gallon of the stuff. I've already gone through the small 8oz packet in this, my first brewing journey, and I'm wondering if there's a cheaper sanitizer option, or if made sanitizer has any kind of shelf life? I believe one-step won't keep given how it works, but I don't know much about idophor and some of the other sanitizers people are using. Any recommendations?

Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
mykayel
Recipes 

I'm using Star San which is a no wrinse sanitizer. You mix at a rate of 1oz for 5 gallon (I actuall use a dosing syringe to just mix up a spraybottle ammont). Its supposed to have a good shelf life if you mix it with distilled or RO water.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Starsan is reusable, cheap, and no rinse. You can also go buy a new spray bottle and keep it full of sanitizer and just give it a shake and spray what you need to sanitize. Most sanitizers only require contact with what your sanitizing, not immersion.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It is my understanding that iodophor has a very good shelf life as well.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6030 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

I use one step, and always have. I make up a gallon and keep it in a milk jug so I have it when needed. The first LHBS I went to told me it was oxygen based and as long as you hear the bubbling when you listen to it, it's still good. I'm on my second container in a year- but I have about 3/4 package left and I brew/rack/ make wine about once a week.

I also keep some mixed up in a spray bottle, and then just spray my hydrometer test jar and hydrometer and let that sit while I take off the lid, etc. I use one step for everything, including bottles.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've been making about 2 or 3 gallons of StarSan and using it through an entire batch. It goes cloudy at this point so I dump it. From what I've heard, I can cut down to about a gallon and still do a good job.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a bucket from Lowes that has 1/2 gallon graduations, so I use 1 Tbs. to make a 2.5 gallon batch. It keeps over a week in the bucket and is good even when cloudy. I fill my spray bottle from this batch.

StarSan Rocks!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
dhaas66
Recipes 

Default Star San?

Just brewed for the first time last week... Mixed one ounce and filled a 5 gal bucket and soaked everthing while brewing. When I wasn't using the utensils I just rinsed and threw them in the bucket..

I left this about 1 day... When I came back there was a rough film I thought on the outside.. Maybe even taken off the smooth coating of the plastic? Is this possible?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
idkid
Recipes 

i usually use one step...although it may be a bad idea, i've used and reused the same four to five gallon mix of it for two months or so...i have brewclub friends who do the same thing with starsan...in fact, they will just rack the starsan off of the crud on the bottom that collects and keep using it...

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
rra24403
Recipes 

Default One Step

I am a new brewer and was told by my local brew store that I should not reuse or store One Step that it is no good after a few hours. I just was there today about to buy some more and was told that they use BTF Iodophor Sanitizer liquid. It is used in restarants, bars, hotels, schools, and other institutions as a sanitizer. It seems to be a lot cheaper (or more economical). It is use with cold water and only needs a few minutes and no rinsing like One Step. I was told not to use it to it's full amount as they suggest but even half stength 1/2 oz to gal. of water.
It is also use to check to see if you have any starch left in grains your using. If you do still have some starch (one drop in a little early wort) it will turn color purple, if no starch left no color change.

It's all new to me but I am going to start using it as it seem very cheap.