Apple/Cherry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe

Reaction score
96 oz of pure apple juice (no preservatives)
32 oz Welch's apple/cherry concentrate (in juice form 1 can needed)
Sugar to raise SG to 1.090 (about 1 pound 6 oz for me)
1 tsp acid blend
1 2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
Campden tablet
1/4 tsp tannin
1 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient

Pour apple/cherry juice into primary and stir in sugar. Once sugar is dissolved pour in apple juice to make one gallon. Add tannin, yeast nutrient, campden, and acid and stir. In 12 hours add pectic enzyme - stir. In 12 more hours add activated yeast. Stir every day until you transfer to secondary. Rack after 60 days and do this at least twice adding campden every other rack and before bottling.

This is a alteration of Jack K's apple wine recipe. I decided to play around with it and it turned out well. The color is very nice and it tastes very good dry but you can sweeten if you want.

image-3265973961.jpg

A batch going in the secondary.

"It is the greatest thing you will ever drink" - Abraham Lincoln.

If I were to make a x5 batch would I multiply any of the other ingredients or just the apple juice. Tannin? Acid blend?

If I were to make a x5 batch would I multiply any of the other ingredients or just the apple juice. Tannin? Acid blend?

You would want to multiply everything by 5. The only thing you don't have to is the yeast. One packet will work for the 5 gallons.

Put it into a secondary after 4-7 days. Once it is in the secondary rack after 60days. And then you can determine how long you want to leave it in the carboy after that.

Awesome, thanks. Its looking so delicious already! I used natural apple juice and found pure cherry juice in the produce section, I was thinking about putting cherries in the secondary too...

That sounds like you've got something good going. In my recipe I didn't have enough apple juice so I used the frozen concentrate to substitute the missing apple juice. I have a feeling your finished product will be tasty. Keep me updated.

My lady prefers a sweeter wine and I've been adding a pound of sugar every time I rack it to keep it sweet. In return making it a subtle, but effective, cherry/apple wine. Its color is intoxicating all by itself. I'm normally a beer guy but its going to be a long year waiting for this one.

I also have some apple cherry going started it on 12/23 used a frozen cocentrate recipe two weeks later its a pink ish like grapefruit

image-4215161230.jpg

I started a gallon of this today only alteration i used 64oz pure apple and 64oz pure cherry juice.every thing else is the same as original recipe. thanks NOE

I started a variation of this recipe in January 2012 and just tasted it the other day. After much added sugar to boost fermentation in the first 6 months it has come out smooth, sweet, flavorful, yet strong. It packs quite the punch for how easy it goes down. A triumph indeed!

Photo 38.jpg

I'm looking to make a batch of this cherry/apple wine but I have fresh cherries and pressed apple cider to use. Is there any apple/cherry ratio you would recommend? I'm nervous if I go 50/50 the cherries might over power the apple flavors. Any thoughts?

When you're adding sugar, are you heating up the juice first in order to dissolve or are you adding it straight to the juice?

Its been a while but I don't think I did. I think I just added the sugar and stirred it very well. It will dissolve further as it ferments and as long as you have an ambient room temp of at least 60-70 degrees you should be good to go.

96 oz of pure apple juice (no preservatives)
32 oz Welch's apple/cherry concentrate (in juice form 1 can needed)
Sugar to raise SG to 1.090 (about 1 pound 6 oz for me)
1 tsp acid blend
1 2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
Campden tablet
1/4 tsp tannin
1 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient

Pour apple/cherry juice into primary and stir in sugar. Once sugar is dissolved pour in apple juice to make one gallon. Add tannin, yeast nutrient, campden, and acid and stir. In 12 hours add pectic enzyme - stir. In 12 more hours add activated yeast. Stir every day until you transfer to secondary. Rack after 60 days and do this at least twice adding campden every other rack and before bottling.

This is a alteration of Jack K's apple wine recipe. I decided to play around with it and it turned out well. The color is very nice and it tastes very good dry but you can sweeten if you want.
How much does this yield?

Back