Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Belgium Belgo
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #31
ne0t0ky0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 335
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam91 View Post
Just cracked open an old belgo. All the aroma flavor is done. I'm getting super pepper and citrus bitter. No fruit from the yeast I'm talking pepper all the way. Is this a bad bottle because I don't remember pepper
You should get a huge Amarillo aroma, mostly fruit and citrus, if not I'd say its a bit old.

For the pepper, I'd expect that a bit with a Belgian yeast, but the lack of aroma makes me suspect some age on the bottle.


__________________
Blog Recipes
ne0t0ky0 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #32
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 703
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

I'll be doing this on the weekend, although we don't have access to Honey Malt in this country, so I'll be subbing in cara-belge and Melanoiden malt.
No Simcoe either, so its been subbed for amarillo as well.


__________________
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #33
ne0t0ky0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 335
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I'll be doing this on the weekend, although we don't have access to Honey Malt in this country, so I'll be subbing in cara-belge and Melanoiden malt.
No Simcoe either, so its been subbed for amarillo as well.
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. About time for me to rebrew this.
__________________
Blog Recipes
ne0t0ky0 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #34
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 703
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I'll be doing this on the weekend, although we don't have access to Honey Malt in this country, so I'll be subbing in cara-belge and Melanoiden malt.
No Simcoe either, so its been subbed for amarillo as well.
Oh and by the way I've turned it Partial Mash, to shorten the Brew day...
It'll lower the abv a little, but it sounds like it'll still taste awesome!
__________________
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #35
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 752
Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

This recipe sounds intriguing to me and has me wanting to brew it.

I have had a pack of Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) laying in my fridge that needs used and was wondering if this would work for this recipe? I also have some WLP400 Belgian Yeast that has been washed but I was hoping I could use the Wyeast to get rid of it?

Any thoughts on if the 3724 would work?

Thanks.
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 703
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
This recipe sounds intriguing to me and has me wanting to brew it.

I have had a pack of Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) laying in my fridge that needs used and was wondering if this would work for this recipe? I also have some WLP400 Belgian Yeast that has been washed but I was hoping I could use the Wyeast to get rid of it?

Any thoughts on if the 3724 would work?

Thanks.
it'll make beer
I couldnt offer an opinion with this exact recipe, but I'd give it a go, half a split batch at least, to see if its something you'd make again. I like Saison yeast,
If it were me, I'd split at least 1 gallon off and ferment with the saison yeast. alternatively you could half it, or just do the whole lot?
__________________
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #37
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 703
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Brewed with 1214 today. Update soon :-)
__________________
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #38
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 752
Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
it'll make beer
I couldnt offer an opinion with this exact recipe, but I'd give it a go, half a split batch at least, to see if its something you'd make again. I like Saison yeast,
If it were me, I'd split at least 1 gallon off and ferment with the saison yeast. alternatively you could half it, or just do the whole lot?
Splitting it sounds like an option. I have since searched for Belgian IPA's that use 3724 with favorable reviews. But I think I'll just go with a split batch between the 3734 and the WLP400 to see which one is better. You are right though that either way, in the end, I will have beer!

At any rate, it will be a while before I get around to brewing this beer as Strawberry harvest season is approaching here in Ohio and I've got plans on making some delish Strawberry Wheat for my next couple of batches!
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #39
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 703
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Splitting it sounds like an option. I have since searched for Belgian IPA's that use 3724 with favorable reviews. But I think I'll just go with a split batch between the 3734 and the WLP400 to see which one is better. You are right though that either way, in the end, I will have beer!

At any rate, it will be a while before I get around to brewing this beer as Strawberry harvest season is approaching here in Ohio and I've got plans on making some delish Strawberry Wheat for my next couple of batches!
Sounds good post back with results. Personally i think you'll prefer the 3724 strain.
__________________
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #40
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 752
Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
Sounds good post back with results. Personally i think you'll prefer the 3724 strain.
I will post results, but like I said, it might be a while before I get around to brewing this recipe.


MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS