Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > About ready to quit brewing, help...

Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
MrMcPeach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default About ready to quit brewing, help...

4 batches in a row now and after about 4 weeks bottled I am getting way overcarbed beer (only using about 3oz priming sugar on average).

The beer tastes great after the first couple of weeks and after a couploe more I get beer that is way too fizzy and has no taste.

A couple of batches ago I cleaned the crap out of everything. Soaked in bleach, then oxi cleaned, then sanitized every piece of gear and cleaned every bottle too.

I have made Apfelwein with all the same stuff and it was perfect. Just the beers seem to get screwed up.

This happened when I first started brewing. Then I made some batches that were fine, then I made a string of bad batches.

My friend uses almost all my equipment and makes good beer. The only things that are solely used by me are my carboys and air locks/blow off tubes.

What could I be doing wrong? Do I just need to replace all my carboys/blow off tubes?

This is making me crazy.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Malstorme
Yeast-herder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How long are you letting it sit in primary and how do you know your fermentation is finished? If your fermentation isn't complete and you bottle prematurely, I'd suspect it could cause the problems you describe...

As is often the case, more info would help with any diagnosis...

Mals

Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
larkincrain
Recipes 

It could be that you aren't waiting long enough before you bottle your beer. This means that the yeast would continue to ferment (and carbonate) your beer inside the bottle, giving you the excess carbonation.

It sounds like your equipment is clean, so I would allow your beer to sit a few more days in the primary or secondary before you bottle. This will ensure that the yeast is done fermenting. A good sign is when there is thick layer of white sediment (the spent yeast) at the bottom of your carboy.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

4 weeks in the bottle or 4 weeks since you brewed?

If you're heading straight to bottles after only 1 week, and not taking grav readings to make sure fermentation is complete, and adding more sugar to carb, then your beers are gushing because they're over carbed because there was still sugar needing to be eaten.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

We need more information, the more detailed the better.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am talking 4 weeks IN the bottle, after fermentation. I guessed that longer in the carboys would help and for the last few batches I have done 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary. Figured that was long enough to avoid any issues and let things de-gas etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

If that's the case, then more than likely you DO have infection issues...there's something in your bottling setup that is harboring a nasty, like in your spigot perhaps?

Give us your bottling/ bottling day sanitization routine.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As for knowing that the beer is done fermenting, I broke my hydrometer a while back and didn't replace it. But is it likely that so many batches in a row (none of them particularly high gravity) would not be fully fermented after 4 weeks?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottling routine:

Bottles are oxi cleaned and bottle brushed then rinsed several times and stored upside down after use.

On bottlimg day all bottles are rinsed with the spray thing you attach to the faucet and then sanitized while the sugar boils. I boil for 10-15 mins.

I sanitize the bottling bucket, including spiggot, which I unscrew and sanitize the bottling wand and syphon too. (should I be having to use PBW on everything aswell before this?)

The carboy is also filled with sanitizer and periodically rolled around and shaken.

Bottle caps are sanitized in Star san.

Empty carboy of sanitizer, rack beer into bottling bucket on top of sugar. Bottle beer.

I don;t think I missed anything, but believe me I am pretty anal about this since starting to have problems.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

If your fermentation got stuck? Yes it could. Until you racked it to bottles and added more sugar, and kicked up the yeast into suspension, and put the bottles in a warm place, you could possibly kickstart fermentation....

I doubt the odds that you could have 5 stuck fermentations in a row though....but a hydrometer is really the only way to know....

Yeast was re-awakened after 45 million years enclosed in amber, and a beer was brewed with it..so I don't put it past them. They're sneaky basturds, and they'll do anything to get to turn sugar into alcohol, even if they get sidetracked for awhile. Wake em up and anyhting is possible.