Adding Maple Extract to Bottling Bucket - How much? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Maple Extract to Bottling Bucket - How much?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
reidjoshua
Recipes 

May 2011
Arlington, VA
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm making a Vanilla Maple Porter and have 4 fl. oz. of maple extract I want to put in the bottling bucket of my 5 gallon batch.

I'm trying to find if anyone knows how much I should use and how it would affect the priming of the bottles?

I will be using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Maple-Extract-4-oz/dp/B0002PHEDO

FWIW I added two scraped/chopped Madagascar vanilla beans and soaked in a bit of vodka to sanitize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

-Josh

Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Oldsock

Recipes 

Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Liked 255 Times on 169 Posts

It shouldn't impact the priming "Ingredients: water, alcohol, pure maple syrup concentrate, caramel color."

As for the amount, "to taste" is the best advice for any extract. Take a few measured samples of the beer, add different amounts of the extract. Pick your favorite ratio, and then scale up to the whole batch.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I recommend you actually prime the brew with maple syrup as well, for more maple flavor. 7-8 ounces would work nicely

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
jjones7
Recipes 

Dec 2012

What brand of maple extract is safe to use from super market?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Lakewood, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjoshua View Post
I'm making a Vanilla Maple Porter and have 4 fl. oz. of maple extract I want to put in the bottling bucket of my 5 gallon batch.

I'm trying to find if anyone knows how much I should use and how it would affect the priming of the bottles?

I will be using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Maple-Extract-4-oz/dp/B0002PHEDO

FWIW I added two scraped/chopped Madagascar vanilla beans and soaked in a bit of vodka to sanitize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

-Josh
Curious how this turned out and what amount you ended up using? I just recently bought this same extract along with the Peanut Butter & Chocolate and have been debating which ones to use in my porter.

I plan to keg so I'll probably start low and ramp up to taste but I was going to go with 2 ozs for 5 gallons. Is that similar to what you used?

Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
beermattyj
Recipes 

Oct 2016

I realize this thread is a bit old, but did anyone ever complete their maple beers successfully? How did they turn out, how much maple extract was used, and where was it used? Thanks for any information you can provide as I'm looking to do the same thing to my beer.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
dmtaylor
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Two Rivers, WI
Liked 393 Times on 319 Posts

I can't tell you how much maple extract to use. However I can suggest that anyone wanting to brew a maple beer not limit themselves to actual maple, but to cheat by using an Indian spice known as fenugreek. Buy some, smell it, and imagine Mrs. Butterworth. Yes, I'm about 99.9% certain that fenugreek is used in all big commercial syrups, and is the defining ingredient of what people think of when they hear the word "maple", even though it has nothing to do with maple at all. Kind of like how witbier tastes like orange citrus from the coriander and not the orange peel (typically), or how LP gas smells skunky, it is because of the artificial additives that give us these ideas even moreso than the natural ingredients in them.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)