How many batches have you ruined and how?? - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many batches have you ruined and how??

Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #61
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

Might have a dumper going this weekend. Mashed in the mid 140s and it looked like I had thrown flour into it with a chalky feel on the tongue. We'll see if 2 weeks of 32 degrees did anything today or tomorrow when I pull another sample.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #62
Dec 2009
Columbus, OH
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

2 Batches:
first one- Right when I started brewing I wrote down the recipe for a porter to go to the LHBS to buy but left off the chocolate malt. I ended up with something like a light amber. Not a terrible beer, just not close to a porter.

second one- A brown ale that I wasn't able to bottle for 10 months (sat in primary) due to time priorities and work. Although I'm not sure the problem was the extended primary. It tastes very strongly of yeast. Not esters, but straight up yeast. It's not what i've seen autolysis flavor to be described as so I'm not completely sure what the deal is. It's been bottle aging for 3 months now and only slightly improving.
Keg #1: Simtennial Pale Ale
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout

Fermenter #1: Mysticmead's Raging Red

Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #63
Nov 2010
Oxnard, Ca
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Three dumpers so far in a year of brewing (about 10 batches):

1) 1st attempt at a Hoegaarden clone kit from ABS. Due to the fact that the ingredients were labeled opposite of the instructions (55 min boil vs 55 min mark), I added the bitter orange and paradise grains at the beginning instead of the end of the boil. It was horrible.

2) Fat Tire clone extract kit. Sour and gushing, tasted fine before bottling. Bottling wand was the culprit

3) Yet another Fat Tire clone (AG batch) sour, slightly gushing. Not sure why but I'm about to give up on this beer. I've brewed 3 great AG batches between the extract sour gusher and this AG batch with no issues, as well as 2 after with no issues. I guess this is just my Fat Tire curse.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #64
NBA Playa
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

One batch since I started, brewed 50 or so batches altogether. Totally my fault, first day of fermentation was in the mid 70s, ambient, so even warmer. Learned that lesson quick, if anything now, I obsess over providing ideal conditions for the yeast.
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #65
Nov 2011
LaVerne, Ca
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

May be dumping today's batch , first nonsanitezed hop
bag 30 seconds till flame out ,along with forgetting to
put the chiller in ten min before flame out and have to
dunk it in star san right after flame out it was clean
this is it's second use , then coming up a gallon short
so i added a gallon of bottled water to already chilled
wort , to say I got a little distracted at the end would
be an understatement.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #66
Feb 2011
Joliet, IL
Liked 1115 Times on 588 Posts

First and second batch ruined:

Our first all-grain day. We tried to do two all-grain batches in the same day. And this was our first time brewing beers from our own imagination - not brewing from someone else's tried-and-true recipe. And to compound problems, we decided to do two very small (1 gallon, net) batches since we knew we didn't know what we were really doing.

Since the batches were so small, we lost a LOT of temperature in 5-gallon our mash tun. Like...120-140 exiting mash temps. Ouch. We didn't do a starch conversion test. We didn't really understand the batch sparging process. The recipes we made were all wrong. Our specialty grains were way too high in percentage to where they should have been. The result was two really bad beers. But we didn't dump them. They're still sitting in my friend's basement. We're planning on cracking them open on New Year's Day and attempting to drink them. Maybe they're not ruined. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

One batch we definitely ruined was a honey brown ale. We tried to use a SS hop filter (similar to what Bobby M made in his videos), but we tried to use it with our new keggle instead of our old tri-clad pot. The pot has built-in defenses against scorching malt - the keggle is not forgiving in that department. We believe the LME dropped right into the SS mesh filter and stayed there, ignoring our attempts at stirring the LME up. It ended up being horribly scorched, and there is a very pronounced smoky flavor to the beer now. We have a keg of it waiting to be dumped out. We will probably never get around to drinking it.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #67
Jan 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Ive riuned", and I am writing the sentence in quotes because it was the yeast I used in each one of those batches. It was one of these yeast some people sell in bulk after reproducing one yeast strain.

All those beers were sour and 3 of them had what I think is Brett infection. This yeast took as long as 24 hours to show any sign of activity and I think it gave a chance to bacteria and other yeasts to play a part in the fermentation.

It was a costly lesson.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #68
Bulls Beers
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts

One batch of Kolsch. I fermented too warm. Before I had temp controlled chest freezers, I used a cooler with water bottles. It was the middle of July. Not good. I drank some of it, but couldn't finish it.
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #69
Mar 2008
, Washington, the state
Liked 393 Times on 311 Posts

Two batches, an imperial stout that my buddy did the recipe on, he refused to believe me when I said he called for too much roasted malt...tasted like an ashtray.

A pale ale that that blow off bung came detached, massive acetaldehyde.

Possible a third as a quad stalled out at 1.036 so I tossed in some funk and a bunch of blackberries. Its been sitting for a year so I should probably taste it and see if it is a go/no go.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #70
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts

1 saison. Tried to put cucumbers in it. They broke down too much, beer tasted like dirt.