Propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Propylene glycol (RV antifreeze)

Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
BetterSense
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts

I made a heat exchanger out of copper pipe and froze the whole thing into a block of ice in my freezer. The idea was that I could run propylene glycol through it, and route the hoses out of the freezer and into a heat exchanger in my beer fermentation chamber.

It was a great idea, but it turns out the RV antifreeze I bought freezes solid inside the thing. The jug says "protection to -50F!" so I figured I was surely safe at the what, 10F in my freezer. Not so apparently. This confuses me. Car antifreeze surely doesn't freeze that easily. Is RV antifreeze that much worse than car antifreeze? Is there anything else I could use? I didn't want to use car antifreeze because of the whole kidney failure thing. Would it help to dilute it with methanol or something?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
itsme6582

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Cleveland
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Read the instructions again. You might be missing a step. Antifreeze needs to be mixed with water. Some stuff you buy is already mixed, other stuff you have to mix yourself. The right mixture with water actually lowers the freezing point.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Lechien

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Piercefield, NY
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

RV antifreeze will "slush" up but not freeze and break things at temps below freezing, thus offering burst protection to a low temp.

There are propylene glycol antifeezes for heating systems like Cryotek -100 that will offer flow at lower temps and still be nontoxic.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Shockerengr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

RV antifreeze isn't just propylene glycol, there's several other things in it. But as Lechien said, the protection they mention to -50F is just that it will slush up that cold. The jugs that I have even mention that at temps near 0F it will start to slush.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Arcata, Ca
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I made a heat exchanger out of copper pipe and froze the whole thing into a block of ice in my freezer. The idea was that I could run propylene glycol through it, and route the hoses out of the freezer and into a heat exchanger in my beer fermentation chamber.

It was a great idea, but it turns out the RV antifreeze I bought freezes solid inside the thing. The jug says "protection to -50F!" so I figured I was surely safe at the what, 10F in my freezer. Not so apparently. This confuses me. Car antifreeze surely doesn't freeze that easily. Is RV antifreeze that much worse than car antifreeze? Is there anything else I could use? I didn't want to use car antifreeze because of the whole kidney failure thing. Would it help to dilute it with methanol or something?
was there water in the copper pipe that froze?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
scotched
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Pasadena, California
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
RV antifreeze isn't just propylene glycol, there's several other things in it.
Exactly. PG alone isn't harmful in regular quantities. They use in in everything from cosmetics to candy.
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada

Old 09-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
BetterSense
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas

Is it true that the freezing point is lower when mixed with water? I'm skeptical.

I thought about trying a mix of the RV antifreeze and alcohol. Do you think pure alcohol would work?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jenison, MI
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Is it true that the freezing point is lower when mixed with water? I'm skeptical.

I thought about trying a mix of the RV antifreeze and alcohol. Do you think pure alcohol would work?
I don't think it is. The reason for mixing water into antifreeze in your car is the boiling point not the freezing point.

Alcohol would help. But do you really need it that cold? Why not warm it up a bit and use more volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
BetterSense
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas

How can I warm my freezer up? I mean I can turn the thermostat up, but if the glycol freezes now I just somehow doubt that I can turn it up enough to ensure it won't freeze; it's not like the thermostat is on -50F now.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jenison, MI
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
How can I warm my freezer up? I mean I can turn the thermostat up, but if the glycol freezes now I just somehow doubt that I can turn it up enough to ensure it won't freeze; it's not like the thermostat is on -50F now.
you would have to override it with a controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear