Kölsch Krisper Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Labs #2565
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 at 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 65 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Keg conditioned for two weeks.
This is a German Kolsch that uses a honey malt instead of the Vienna. This gives the beer a slightly crisper taste as I find the vienna a bit "malty". I pitched this on a secondary harvest of Wyeast #2565 and fermentation was good.

The gravity was low for a Kolsch, but it's a session ale that I'm after. The lighter grain bill also means I can shorten the keg condtioning. For those of you who plan on bottling, this beer will do very well with 3-4 weeks of cool (as cool as you can get it) conditioning in the secondary.

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Kolsch_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 19.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min)
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80%] (15 min)
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80%] (5 min)

1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)

Add 2.36 gal of water at 130.2 F 122.0 F 10 min
Add 0.47 gal of water at 203.8 F 134.0 F 15 min
Add 1.89 gal of water at 182.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Add 1.89 gal of water at 211.3 F 168.0 F 20 min

If you prefer, a sigle infusion mash to acheive a 153 degree mash temp for 60 minutes will also work well.

This is a favorite among females who are a little narrow-minded in their appreciation of beer. Kolsch is essentially a Pilsner wanna-be. This will make my third batch of Kolsch and a standard during the summer months.

Very easy AG recipe and wide audience appeal.

NOTE: There was no specific German Light Ale recipe category so I parked it here.

Just finished "lagering" this one for about 5 weeks and it tastes great. I really like the honey malt in this recipe and the choice of hops. I used the WLP029 which left a nice clean flavor with some esters, but didn't flocculate very well at all despite the extended cold conditioning. A great kolsch recipe, nevertheless.

i just finished off my last bottle of this beer, and i have to say its the best beer ive brewed thus far.

i will definatly be brewing this one again

BierMuncher,

I purchased the ingredients for this but then thought I might make a big batch and ferment in two cornys.
Does this look good to convert to 10 gallon?
Add 6# extra light dry extract for the boil.
Add an ounce of Tettnang (3.2%) to the Hallertauer @ 60 minutes (I have it on hand)
Make the Saaz additions 1 oz each?
This makes the IBUs 20.0 according to Beer Smith.

Thanks, hoping to brew this next weekend as my AHS Anniversary Kolsch is rapidly depleting as my wife finally likes a brew I've made :)

Oh and is one Wyeast 2565 enough for 10 gallons?

I made this one using Ultra in place of Saaz. Wow! Amazing beer! I will be making this one again soon!

What temperature do you ferment at?

I already have the hops and honey malt on hand, I think ill make this next weekend.

Great recipe... Thanks for posting. Just made a second batch and added 3lbs of cranberries during the last week in the secondary. Was a hit over Christmas.

I brewed this using wyeast 2565 and from what I understand the yeast can leave beer cloudy. What can I do to clear it up, jello, lager... I’ve never laggered before but have the ability to do it. My batch went into the ferm chamber two days ago and has been sitting at 60. If I decided to lager, what would a good schedule be? I would prefer not to lager as I’m impatient as hell, but I want this beer to be clean.

Back