Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Crazy Betty's Sweet Potato Pie Ale (AG)

Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For my process I placed the sweet potato in the mash and in my kettle to boil down. Mine turned out great. No issues. I would just add less spices for me due to it was overly spicy for my taste. Another brewer also brewed this without issues. So far imrook has had issues. If your using canned potato then mash and boil. If using fresh potato then slice, bake them until soft, mash/boil. I will be doing this recipe again probably in December. Hope when you brew this you dont have issues. Keep us posted.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
worstbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
For my process I placed the sweet potato in the mash and in my kettle to boil down. Mine turned out great. No issues. I would just add less spices for me due to it was overly spicy for my taste. Another brewer also brewed this without issues. So far imrook has had issues. If your using canned potato then mash and boil. If using fresh potato then slice, bake them until soft, mash/boil. I will be doing this recipe again probably in December. Hope when you brew this you dont have issues. Keep us posted.
Yeah, I did the same and having finally kegged it recently I would agree too, my biggest complaint would be I find it a bit too spicy. It is good, and I would actually bet if put on nitro it might even round things out a bit more but it's hard to say. I plan to let it sit a little more, possibly even until Thanksgiving and see how the spices come through then.

Primary: Empty :(
Brewing soon: Munich Dunkel

Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstbrewing View Post
Yeah, I did the same and having finally kegged it recently I would agree too, my biggest complaint would be I find it a bit too spicy. It is good, and I would actually bet if put on nitro it might even round things out a bit more but it's hard to say. I plan to let it sit a little more, possibly even until Thanksgiving and see how the spices come through then.
That's awesome! Keep us posted on the ageing. I hope it smoothes the spices.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #24
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

I'm brewing this again today after work for a friend. In toning down the spice profile on this version.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

So I finished up the second batch of this last night. OG 1.060 78.1% eff. Has a great malty taste with a hint of spice. I changed up the recipe to .5tbsp cinnamon, .5tsp Ginger and Nutmeg. All spices were added at last 5 minutes. Turned out great. Cant wait to see what happens after primary.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Update of 2nd batch, After one week of active fermentation SG was 1.010, I tasted the sample and it was good but lightly spiced, So I tossed in a small teabag of a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm going to cold crash it tonight and keg it tomorrow. Anyone else have any updates on your batches?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #27
teflontoad
Recipes 

I have just finished brewing my sweet potato beer. Here is what I did:

Grains:

6.5 lbs 2-row US pale
1.5 lbs Munich 10L
1 lbs Caravienne
.5 lbs Caramunich
.5 lbs Special B

Hops:

1 oz Kent Goldings @ 60
.5 oz Fuggles @ 25

Misc:

8 oz. Light Brown Sugar @ 60
1 Tbsp Cinnamon @ 5
.75 tsp Nutmeg @ 5
.5 tsp Powdered Ginger @ 5
2 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract @ Pitch
3 lbs sweet potato (baked at 350 for 2 hours and then mashed)
1 Tbsp Irish Moss @ 10

Yeast:

WLP011 European Ale

Mash:

Mash Grains and 1.5 lbs of sweet potato with 13 qt water @158F for 60 min, Sparge at 170F (topped off to 6.5 gallons), Bring to a boil add in the other 1.5 lbs sweet potato, brown sugar and first hop addition (Goldings), @ 25 add second hop addition (Fuggles), @ 10 add Irish Moss and add wort chiller to kettle, @ 5 add in the spices, Flame out start cooling until 75F, add to fermenter, take hydrometer reading, Pitch Yeast WLP011 and vanilla

I got a 76.8% efficiency and finished with an OG of 1.050 that has hints of spice and malty flavor. I will let you know what happens when I transfer to secondary next weekend.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #28
worstbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ended up making a second batch so I could have something ready sooner, so I cut back on the spices similar to how you mentioned. I still added lactose like last time, then added some vanilla extract (about 2tsp) along with just a little more spice (1tsp total at most, I think less) and sampled it tonight... Wow! Spot on to what I had in mind, definitely excited to crack this one out for the family over Thanksgiving :-)

Primary: Empty :(
Brewing soon: Munich Dunkel

Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #29
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Just posting a picture of the second batch of this ale. Turned out very well enjoy
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00367-20111112-1512.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	39122  

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
tadkays
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I made a brown ale today with addition of 6lbs canned baked sweet potatoes mashed in mash, which was low at 152. Thanks for the inspiration y'all! We are boiling nicely now, did 2oz saaz FWH. I am going with 1# brown sugar, 8oz lactose, & 1 tbsp spice at 15, then vanilla beans in secondary. 1099 yeast. Looking forward to this one.
RandomBeerGuy Likes This