Zeus hop.....?? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Zeus hop.....??

Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
mux11
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Des Moines, IA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have not found a recipe calling for these but they have grown very well this year.
Noticed that there does not seem to be much yellow lupin in the cones. Still worth picking and drying?
Also does it help to get to know the hop flavor by making tea?

Thanks - jim

Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8020 Times on 5604 Posts

Zeus hops = Columbus = Tomahawk, so there are lots and lots of recipes out there!

When you crush them in your fingers, how do they smell? You should see the yellow lupulin glands, but if they are very aromatic they'll be great even if you don't see much yellow.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Mahopac, NY
Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts

My Zeus hops are even more pungent than my cascades, they have a very nice citrusy smell to them.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
_JP_
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Woodstock, GA
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Out of the 8 varieties I planted this year, Zeus (AKA "CTZ") was by far the most prolific.

I'm liking these high-alpha hops - less pest problems, more cones, use them at beginning of boil for bitterness, end of boil for aroma/flavor, and I may even try to dry hop with them.

Chinook is the other high-alpha I have growing, it's (exclusively) used in Stone's Arrogant Bastard, so I've read, so you can even dry hop with these high-alpha varieties.

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JP_ View Post
Out of the 8 varieties I planted this year, Zeus (AKA "CTZ") was by far the most prolific.

I'm liking these high-alpha hops - less pest problems, more cones, use them at beginning of boil for bitterness, end of boil for aroma/flavor, and I may even try to dry hop with them.

Chinook is the other high-alpha I have growing, it's (exclusively) used in Stone's Arrogant Bastard, so I've read, so you can even dry hop with these high-alpha varieties.
+1 My CTZ plant is like Godzilla. Last year, my stupid neighbor pulled my whole plant off the fence in late june thinking it a was weed or something (thought he was doing me a favor). Anyway, it made a miraculous recovery and I was still able to harvest 3 lbs from her.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Corvallis, Oregon
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mine never broke ground, I think I'm going to see if I can dig up my Rhizome and bring it back to life.