I found a couple things that help increase eff.
1. Crush a bit finer and mash a bit thicker. In mash at 1.25 qt per lb. I also spray the grain with water before I grind. I helps prevent stuck mashes by squeezing the grain from the hull.
2. Definitely check your mash with an iodine test.
3. If you are batch sparging try to add bits of boiling water to get yourself up to 170(mashout temp). It will help you to rinse more of the sugar of the grain.
4. Don't be afraid to stir the he!! out of the grain and vorlauf until it's clear before pulling your running to the kettle.
5. Keep some light dme around in case your low and need some extra malt to hit your SG.
Then again I'm drunk right now