Irish Red Ale Early Riser Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY 1450
Yeast Starter
Aye
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1000ml starter on stir plate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks (due to keglessness + need for fermenter)
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
So good that I had to post and share it. It\'s only fair.
7.00 lb British-style Pale Ale Malt (I used Gambrinus ESB) (4.0 SRM) 81.4 %
0.75 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 8.7 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 5.8 %
0.25 lb 70-80 deg. L - Crystal/Caramel (75.0 SRM) 2.9 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 1.2 %

0.70 oz Whole - Amarillo [11.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min (26.8 IBUs)
0.50 oz Whole - Willamette [4.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min (2.6 IBUs)
0.50 oz Whole - Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min (5.9 IBUs)
0.50 oz Whole - Willamette [4.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min (0.0 IBUs)
0.50 oz Whole - Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min (0.0 IBUs)

1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite (Wyeast #1450) [1000.00 ml starter]

Est ABV% 3.7%
Measured efficiency 67% (ensure that your recipe is adjusted for your normal efficiency)

First comment: In the interest of full disclosure and props to my LHBS, this is a rye-ified version of Dan Small's (Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver, Canada) delicious Irish Red recipe.

Rationale: I call this Early Riser since, as a teacher, I have to be up early and be clear-headed to do my job. The days of going to work hungover are long, long gone and a tasty, low gravity ale is exactly what is needed for weekday night quaffing. A few half pints on a school night makes for a great wind-down and an easy morning the next day.

Tasting notes: Smooth, malty flavour with a touch of spiciness and fruit. Malt comes through very well along with the hops - nice bitterness with some present hop flavour and aroma on the nose. Hoppier than a traditional IRA. A nicely balanced pint. The key aspect of this ale is the full-bodiedness from such a low-gravity beer. Certainly a session beer, that's anything but thin, boring and rough around the edges. Quickly becoming my house beer.

Anyone else tried this out? Looks like a great recipe for a session red.

Awesome! I've been looking for a nice session ale for the same reasons as you (early riser, also teach-sorta). I've doing pales and a ginger honey but this Red sounds like a nice change.

Props to Dan as well- R.I.P.

Bringing this back from the dead. I brewed this with a 25 min boil and used Northern Brewer hops for ~30IBU. This beer is absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed this more than biermuncher's oktoberfast ale. Perfect balance of malt, roast, and spice from the Rye and NB hops. Mouthfeel from the 1450, CaCl additions, and oats is super creamy despite low ABV. Will definitely be an annual fall beer for me.

Back