Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need advice on a AG Punkin Ale

Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Dilligans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need advice on a AG Punkin Ale

Ok .. I ordered a AG Punkin ale kit from austin home brew... Anyone ever brew this one before? After I completed the brewing process , How long should I primary? How long to age in Keg ? any suggestions?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brewed the same kit last year, and it definitely the best extract kit I ever did. This year, I'm doing an all-grain version of an imperial pumpkin that I'm going to bottle next weekend then serve in October.

Anyway, for last year's pumpkin, I added two 29 oz cans of Libby's Spiced Pumpkin to the steeping grains as well as the AHB spice kit in the boil. Their instructions say not to use spiced pumpkin, since they are already including a spice pack, but I was very happy with the end result.

I had mine in primary for 4 weeks, kegged and force carbed, and it was ready to serve about 2 weeks after that.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Dilligans
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

ok.. sounds good.. My house is at 70 degrees... so It will ferment around 71 , 72 degrees for about for a month. .. I will take your advice and try the spiced pumpkin. So this one is better staying in the primary?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO do not use the prespiced cans. They include preservatives which can hinder/prevent fermentation. This is why you add spices and use organic/natural pumpkin. It would suck to go through the process and work to end up with horrible results because of it.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Dilligans
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

so go to whole foods and get organic pumpkin? how much?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Maxkling
Recipes 

I used 2 15oz cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. Are you going to boil or mash them? I just put them in the boil and did not mash.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
Dilligans
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkling View Post
I used 2 15oz cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. Are you going to boil or mash them? I just put them in the boil and did not mash.
I think it would be easier to boil them since I am doing a AG batch. Will it make a difference in taste.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Maxkling
Recipes 

Well with AG you can just add it to the mash. If you roast it and mash it you can convet some sugars from the pumpkin. If you boil it youll only get flavor. You sould really search around, this has been covered a lot and by people with more experience then me. I did not mash it and just boiled it.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

I always use the pumpkin in the mash, roasted of course. Then use the spice pack in the boil. One year, I didnt have the pumpkins to put in the mash, so it was only the spices in the boil, and nobody knew the difference except me. Something to think about.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
HopKeller
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just brewed the AHB Pumpkin Ale Partial Mash last weekend. I simply bought a baking pie from the grocery store, cut into 3"-4" chunks, roasted in the oven at 350 fer an hour, removed the skin and baked for another 30 min to further caramelize. I placed it in it's own mesh bag beside my grains during the mash - took it out with the grains.