PVC Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjbernier

Reaction score
I want to build a brew stand for my hlt and my mlt for outside and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on PVC pipe for this. I cannot weld and do not have any means to get it welded so that threw out steel for this idea. I would ideally enjoy a three tier system with my turkey fryer on the bottom but I know that is dreaming since the PVC could take the heat from the fryer. Any ideas or design help would be great.
Thanks

Try something like this. I just used it for the first time this weekend and it worked like a dream.

PVC burns at surprisingly low temperatures (330-390C) and loses strength sooner.

Would it work just for my hlt and mlt? I batch sparge and do single infusion.

I think you'd be crazy to use PVC for a permanent setup like that. Id do bolted angle or wood if you absolutely cannot weld.

Believe it or not, mig welders can be had for VERY cheap. If you search craigslist you can get yourself a stick for around 100-150 bucks. Add in a 10" chopsaw for cutting your angle iron, a few clamps, and possible a rotary grinder to rough up the surfaces. Once you have a welder then I bet you'd start finding all sorts of uses for it. :) Mig is SUPER easy to learn...much easier than tig welding...

throw a piece of pvc in an oven at around 250 and watch how soft it gets.

PVC isn't strong enough to be practible.

go with predrilled angle iron and bolts if you are using fire or wood or angle iron if electricity

Angle iron, drill, 4 1/2" grinder with cutoff wheel, and bolts. You can make it any way you want. Plus you can disassemble and change without cutting anything. I worked with pvc for quite a while, trust me bad idea.

Unistrut is like an adult erector set. They have tons of different fitting types for joining, 3d and 4d corners, L's, Tee's, etc. Very slick, but SOOO expensive.

Where does everyone get their angle? Scrap yard? I've been bird dogging bed frames on heavy trash pickup nights, etc. They're all a little different, but I don't really care.

Here's the setup I use right now. I don't have anywhere to store a brew stand so this is my high quality 3-tier for now. For structural support the lower bin contains a float tube w/ fins and the upper contains my chest waders and boots. :)

HPIM1022_small.JPG

unistrut or something like 80/20 is great way to build something that looks like you had it custom fabricated. It might cost a little more than using bolted angle iron but it's so much more versatile and fun.

A lot of the printing equipment we use at my shop is either assembled on an 80/20 frame, or has 80/20 rails bolted onto it because it allows us to add components on (lamps, fans, etc) very easily and anywhere we want.

bradsul said:
Here's the setup I use right now. I don't have anywhere to store a brew stand so this is my high quality 3-tier for now. For structural support the lower bin contains a float tube w/ fins and the upper contains my chest waders and boots. :)

HPIM1022_small.JPG

I should start taking pictures of my brew day, but what I had setup was the turkey fryer on the ground sitting next to a Ice Cube which was really just a stand for the Rubbermaid round cooler mash-tun. I put the HLT on the picnic table but it wasn't high enough, so I balanced it on one of these:

case.jpg

Back