Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #131
MyNameIsPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Just brought a Sunbeam unit back to life by baking it. I've learned that whatever I need to know in life, I can just search HBT.

Going to be using the silicone line/O-Rings setup by BobbyM to waterproof it. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #132
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Count me as another satisfied user of this method. I started building my AG setup this weekend and did this trick on two thermometer probes, one for my HLT and one for my MLT.

Like some others reported, I had trouble finding #70 O-rings, but Home Depot had #60 O-rings and they fit perfectly over my probe, so I used them. 10 for $2.27.

I also used the so-called "silicone" aquarium tubing, but only because I will NOT be using these thermometers in the oven. 8' for $2.49 from PetSmart.

I put a few drops of food-safe mineral oil in the tubing and let it drip about halfway down the length of tube before I pushed it over the probe. Then I used a soldering pick to stuff the inner O-ring into place around the probe, and to stretch the outer O-ring up and over the tube. The hardest thing about the process was working with small pieces with mineral oil on my hands.

So for under $5 and 20 greasy minutes on a Sunday afternoon, I upgraded two otherwise serviceable thermometers that I was thinking of replacing. Thanks, Bobby_M, for a great idea.

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #133
Snowhere
Recipes 

Add me to the chorus. I was wondering why my digital meters always seemed to go haywire while brewing before I stumbled on this thread. I had a easy time sliding some aquarium tubing on my Onieda meter, but my cheaper walmart probe was a bit of a bitch. The crimp on it's probe made it resist sliding the tubing over it. I ended up taking some pliers and 'uncrimped' the crimp. After I did that, I was able to slid the tubing over it. I also used a few drops of olive oil as my lubricant.

Anyway, thanks Bobby for the tip!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #134
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bobby, I have the same Temperature Probe. I found it a nice cheap solution for mashing and reading the temperature for the whole mash.

I'll have to pick up some tubing for the probe.
#1 - 5 Gallons Harp Clone All Grain with Wyeast 2007 Lager (~5.5% ABV)

Secondary's:
#1 - 6 Gallons Dry Irish Stout Partial (~4.0 ABV)
#2 - 6 Gallons Brown Sugar Ale All Grain with Nottingham Yeast (~5.0% to 5.2%)

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:
6 Gallons Brown Sugar Lager

Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #135
hopthepot

Recipes 

I just tried this and it was a success through the first brew. Bought this probe therm from morebeer and this silicone hose. Picked up #60 O-Rings (1/4" O.D. x 1/8" I.D.) from Lowes. Heated up some food grade lubricant for a few seconds over the stove just until it melted then sucked it through the hose. Threading the probe and getting the o-rings in place was no hassle at all. Another thanks to Bobby!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #136
hopthepot

Recipes 

Update:

Probe started reading off during the second brew. I noticed there was a fair amount of lubricant left in the tube after I threaded the probe and I was a bit worried about it. The stuff melts at 120'F, and it ran down the tube to where the probe meets the wire and must have messed it up the same as wort has for other people. I tried baking it but was still not getting consistent readings. I ordered two more probes (gotta have a backup now) and put a drop of silicone sealant where the probe meets the wire and just applied a small amount of lube to the probe itself and didn't lube up the inside of the tube this time. I'll post again if any more problems occur.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #137
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm glad I found this thread. I had donated my old HLT Keggle with built in thermometer to a homebrewer that lost his house in one of the Texas wild fires and started to build a new one yesterday (video on cutting the keg to be posted on youtube soon).

I figured why drill a hole and buy another thermometer when I can waterproof the probe of one of my meat thermometer/timers and even set an alarm when it hits my desired temp.

Off to Lowes and PetSmart today. Lucky for me, they are 5 minutes away and across from each other in the same shopping center.

Great stuff Bobby M! Thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #138
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Can ;you believe 137 posts and not one picture of Bobby's DYI product?
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #139
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My web host is down right now otherwise the pics would be in the first post. Actually, it's not too uncommon for a 5 year old post to have broken image links.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #140
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
My web host is down right now otherwise the pics would be in the first post. Actually, it's not too uncommon for a 5 year old post to have broken image links.
Yea Bobby, just looked again at your OP and saw you mentioned pics but then there is a big blank spot. Guess the links are/were broken someplace.

Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout