Hoppy brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
I love the aroma and flavor of a hoppy IPA....... Can someone give me a good extract kit to get me there?

I love Hefe and belgian brews but IPA has a sweet spot in my heart. The aroma hops you can smell (and taste), is like heaven in a glass.......

Homebrew Heaven (they have a web site) has a great extract recipe that tries to replicate a fantastic IPA called Diamond Knot. Never tried it extract but I followed the hop schedule on an all grain.

I'm curious, what are the Homebrew shops like in Utah? I know the beer you buy is limited to 3.25% alcohol (at least it was in 2001 when I was there.) Are there any written regualtions pertaining to the hobby? Not that I think the cops are going to bust down your door, but do they address the issue somehow?

I dont have a good one for you quite yet, as IPAs also hold a special place in my heart, but one kit i did get from Midwest which is called octane IPA, is not very good, so i definitely would not reccomend that one... i will keep my eye on this thred for a good kit. my next is an extract oatmeal stout...

my first brew was an IPA. the next one i make im defently going to add more hops, i used a True Brew IPA kit i think it had around 2 oz's of hop pellets. it was decent my only problem was a tannic after taste which im blamming my self on for squeezing out the grain sack lol.

stevenb said:
Homebrew Heaven (they have a web site) has a great extract recipe that tries to replicate a fantastic IPA called Diamond Knot. Never tried it extract but I followed the hop schedule on an all grain.
stevenb said:
I'm curious, what are the Homebrew shops like in Utah? I know the beer you buy is limited to 3.25% alcohol (at least it was in 2001 when I was there.) Are there any written regualtions pertaining to the hobby? Not that I think the cops are going to bust down your door, but do they address the issue somehow?
I brewed the Diamond Knot IPA clone for my second batch! It's kegged now, and I'm lovin' it!!!
IMO, an amazing beer!!! Also, Homebrew Heaven is a great shop. It's my local!

:mug:

I love Henry Weinhards Pale ale. Would like a Clone of that brew and just add more aroma hops at the end of the boil.

I'm brewing the Brewer's Best IPA kit at the moment. Can't say if it's good or not though, it's still in the primary fermenter. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it is when it's ready though. You can count on that!:drunk:

Here are the notes from the first IPA I brewed, it came out amazing!

1/21/07
Snowflake IPA

8# Pale Malt Extract
2# Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
1# Crystal 15L

4oz Centennial whole aa 9.0%
4oz Cascade whole aa 6.6%
0.25oz Amarillo whole aa 9.8%
1oz Columbus pellets aa 15.6% (dry hop)

Re-pitched on Wyeast 1056 yeast cake from Magic Hat #9 (73-77% Attenuation)

-Steep grains at 160*F 30 min, remove grain bag and bring wort to boil.
-Add LME
-Add Amarillo, and 2 oz Centennial (0’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (15’)
-Add 2 oz Centennial (30’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (50’) and ¼ tsp irish moss
-Turn off at 60’, strain into cooling bucket, cool to 75*F, dump onto yeast cake, aerate.

OG 1.052 @ 60*F

1/28/07 Racked to secondary, added Columbus hops)
SG 1.020 @ 68*F (1.021 temperature corrected, 62% attenuation…)
2/7/07 SG 1.019 @58*F (1.019 corrected, 64% attenutation)
2/10/07 FG 1.019, bottled, 4.4% ABV

Back