Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 1792 porter recipe discovery.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
grant-robison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1792 porter recipe discovery.

In searching my school library for books on brewing (that's University of Tulsa), It turns out that we have on microfiche "Every man his own brewer: a small treatise, explaining the art and mystery of brewing porter, ale, and table-beer." written by one Samuel Child from London.
Within I found a recipe for a 6 gallon batch of porter. It goes thus:
1 peck of Malt
1/4lb of Liquorice Root
1/8oz of Spanish Liquorice
1/4lb of Essentia Bina
1/4lb of Colour
1/2lb of Treacle
1/4lb of Hops
capsicum, heading, ginger, linseed &c. &c.
Water for 6 gallons porter.

Also contained was instructions for making Essentia Bina, and colour:
Essentia Bina is made from sugar boiled until thick and syrupy and black and extremely bitter. (theres actually a little bit on this site about it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hist...60/index2.html)
colour is pretty much just caramel, boiled sugar till caramel brown and a little bitter.
Need to do research about "spanish liquorice" probably gonna do a noble hop EKG or Fuggles etc. The peck of malt works out to about 9lbs.

I'm extremely excited to brew this and so are my brewing buddies. Any one have experience with these ingredients?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
shaggybudd
Recipes 

wow! Awesome find! Good Luck with your brew! Sorry I don't know much about those ingredients, but I am interested to know how everything goes.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 59

the book really is from 1792?!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 59

i think it would be so cool to hand someone a beer and say "this is a 220 year old recipe"

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There's a pipe-tobacco called 1792, it'd be fun to incorporate it into this recipe.

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
hampshirebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd suggest reducing the licorice root the first time around.

I brew Charlie Papazian's tumultuous porter (Joy of Homebrewing) every once in a while. I did it this summer with 6 gm licorice stick (associated with Spanish "juice" by author Randy Mosher) and 0.6 oz licorice root. Other spices/herbs included 3 oz ginger, 38 gm juniper berries, and 2 oz fresh spruce tips. It was a very busy beer and next time around I'd cut back a little on everything.

1/4 lb (4 oz) licorice root sounds like a lot. 1-2 oz should be plenty but the sweetness of the licorice root could offset the bitterness of the essentia bina

The linseed part sounds grim. I wonder if this is one of those adulterated porters that led to laws banning such stuff from beer (I've also wondered if this kind of recipe inspired Papazian's musings on the tumultuous porter recipe)

Porter in early 19th century England soon became nothing but brown and pale malt and hops according to research in Ron Pattinson's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins.

Your mileage may vary. Sounds like a great project. Happy brewing!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
grant-robison
Recipes 

Yeah it really is from 1792, the book is still printed (amazon has an edition).
Quote:
1/4 lb (4 oz) licorice root sounds like a lot. 1-2 oz should be plenty but the sweetness of the licorice root could offset the bitterness of the essentia bina
The whole recipe seems intense: e.g. 1/4lb hops. And i've read that in those days an "aroma" addition was almost unheard of, including these hops as a FWH was the mainstay. And they had much longer wort boils on the order of 2 hours or so. which considering a low AA hop like Fuggles (or any other noble) would still be like 100IBU.
But additionally their hop cultivars probably werent as powerful as modern ones, and maybe they werent as fresh. So if you model this with beersmith with fuggles @ 2%AA; and a boil time of 120 minutes you get 42IBU. at least that's my speculation

Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
grant-robison
Recipes 

i'm not going to addd any of those optional herbs/spices like linseed or ginger or whatevs. Although a little ginger doesnt seem terrible.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
hampshirebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The hopping process I've seen is 50% at start of boil and 50% with 30 minutes to go.

I've got an 1850 porter from Whitbread brewing logs going that was OG 1060 and approx 60 ibus by that method. I model hop ounces at 4% alpha. I also figure that there isn't much need to boil for more than 75-90 minutes although likely there's some extra kettle caramel going on with longer boils. They did serious mashing and boiling and parti-gyling which I just don't have time for presently (some day perhaps)

Various licorices, ginger, juniper and spruce are fun to play with which is why I keep brewing tumultuous porter.

I plan to brew a few Whitbread porters and stouts from 1914 next year. Mostly pale, brown and black malts with hopping running from 30-60 ibus using the method listed above.

Cheers!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
There's a pipe-tobacco called 1792, it'd be fun to incorporate it into this recipe.
Ha, you read my mind!!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)