Cheapest beer with a good brewing bottle? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cheapest beer with a good brewing bottle?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortCarboy View Post
Thanks for all replies.

Made a list of the beers listed and will head to the beer store and see what they have. I don't think they will have most of them and I know the prices will be way more than you guys listed (beer prices are brutal up north).

CanQuaffer - Didn't know Defalcos sold those bottles that cheaply. Definitely going to swing by and see what they have. Love that place - smells amazing when u walk in. Might have to take you up on that offer too, if they're sold out.

Ellis - Something about popping a glass bottle and pouring a beer that just appeals to me.
Yeah, if they're sold out, drop me a PM and you can have some of mine. I think I have at least 2 dozen for ya. Do yourself a favour though, go to a good LCBO location. They have more variety than the Beer Store and they carry those Polish lagers I was telling you about. The Beer Store doesn't, as far as I know.

And yeah, Deflaco's smells great! Too bad it's the smell of fermenting wine and not beer though.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #22
wedge421

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Sam Adams bottles have always worked for me

Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #23
kickz28
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Ottawa
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go to a grocery store in Hull and ask to buy back some empties. The best ones that are usually available at a grocery store are Leffe.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #24
danorocks17
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

I like to go to sams club and get sam adams 24 packs for around 21 bucks. good beer and the labels are easy to remove

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
Sokrateez
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Yeah, forget the pop tops, not only are they few and far between, but in Ontario the prices you have to pay the extortionate prices for the beer inside. Brewing in Canada can be rough sometimes but the one good aspect is that our twist offs are designed to be reused many times. That means you can reuse them too! Even wing cappers work!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
soup67
Recipes 

Sep 2010
, SC

Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #27
eltorrente
Recipes 

Aug 2011
baltimore, md
Liked 64 Times on 46 Posts

It's crazy to think that two cases of decent beer costs more than a used keg.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Moorhead, MN
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortCarboy View Post
I currently have a red ale fermenting and am getting very close to needing to bottle.

I went to the beer store yesterday and didn't really know what to buy. I ended buying a 4 pack of grolsh and over-payed way more than I wanted to.

Looking to start drinking this weekend to stack up.

So what beer is commercially available that is reasonably cheap, a pop top, and in a brown (Not sure if green in ok) bottle?

I live in Ontario Canada.
I Dont understand why no one mentioned this but you dont need to go out and buy bottles or buy beer for bottles. Go down to your local recycling center and pick up however many you need. Wash them, scrub the insides of the bottles good, soak in oxyclean to remove labels, sanitize with starsan and dry. I have about 300 beer bottles I got last weekend and spent my sunday cleaning them

Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
rellot
Recipes 

Dec 2009
omaha
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Kirkland beer? really? I'm going have to check that stuff out. I can't imagine.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3704 Times on 3178 Posts

I second checking out the bars & recycling centers. I have a mountain of bottles. Even 45 cooper's PET bottles in 25oz (740ml) size. Enough for 6 batches or so. We have the capacity to brew 12 gallons at a time. So that's 132 bottles or so. I also have to,unfortunately,deal with all manner of odd size boxes with flaps to put them in when conditioning at room temp &/or storing. I've since started buying beers with the small,thick cardboard boxes,like Leinenkugel's & great lakes to get the 12 count boxes & toss any with twist offs. The leinenkugel's has separators as well!
I also got my order from makebeer.net (North American Cooper's distributor) that's just right for 12 bottles,up to 22oz too. I eventually want to get rid of the large boxes,& the thin pop cubes as well. Even have my son saving me the thick,sturdy 12 pack boxes. Just my thoughts.
By the way,Sapporo & Smithwick's work well also. I'm sure you can get those.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU