Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
bricks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Don't flame me guys! I'm just an old Miller Lite drinker who used to be a homebrewer, who is soon to be another homebrewer! Instead of drinking my usual Miller Lite, I have been experimenting with different beers that I have never had, so I can come up with something I would like to brew.

I went to the local liquor store this afternoon and picked up a 6-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and a 6-pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and a pint of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier dark. I quickly downed the hefe, and all I could say was wow! I could taste a clove taste right off the bat. It just got better!

Then I moved on to the Black Butte Porter. I have never had a porter before, but the first taste revealed a great chocolate taste! I am now on my second one, and have not even tried the Sam Adams yet. May not try it tonight because the porter is so good!

I have found a few recipes to clone the Black Butte Porter, and think I may have to give this a try when I get back in to brewing. I am waiting on finding a small chest freezer to make a keezer for fermentation temperature control, and as soon as I save up just a little bit of money, I will be ready to order supplies and get back into brewing.

I do like wheat beers, but just found out tonight I really like porters! Anyone want to suggest a good extract wheat beer recipe or another good extract porter recipe I could start out with. I plan on kegging instead of bottling, as I already picked up a small refrigerator for free.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Edit to add: I lied! Just tried one of the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. It is very good also! May have a slight headache when I go to work tomorrow!!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
Don't flame me guys! I'm just an old Miller Lite drinker who used to be a homebrewer, who is soon to be another homebrewer! Instead of drinking my usual Miller Lite, I have been experimenting with different beers that I have never had, so I can come up with something I would like to brew.

I went to the local liquor store this afternoon and picked up a 6-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and a 6-pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and a pint of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier dark. I quickly downed the hefe, and all I could say was wow! I could taste a clove taste right off the bat. It just got better!

Then I moved on to the Black Butte Porter. I have never had a porter before, but the first taste revealed a great chocolate taste! I am now on my second one, and have not even tried the Sam Adams yet. May not try it tonight because the porter is so good!

I have found a few recipes to clone the Black Butte Porter, and think I may have to give this a try when I get back in to brewing. I am waiting on finding a small chest freezer to make a keezer for fermentation temperature control, and as soon as I save up just a little bit of money, I will be ready to order supplies and get back into brewing.

I do like wheat beers, but just found out tonight I really like porters! Anyone want to suggest a good extract wheat beer recipe or another good extract porter recipe I could start out with. I plan on kegging instead of bottling, as I already picked up a small refrigerator for free.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
I like their porter too. Try the stout, equally as good. Do a search I bet you can find a recipe.

Fermenting: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

glad to hear you are getting excited about those beers! if you want, try the recipe in this thread, it's a very close clone of Black Butte.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bla...porter-145879/

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Listening to the "Can You Brew It" Black Butte Porter podcast podcast would also be helpful:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/545

Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
JasonToews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sam Adams Oktoberfest is not bad. Not the best Oktoberfest I have had, but nice malty taste

Old 09-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 52

i'm not a huge fan of porters, but i do like black butte - very well done...deschutes' mirror pond pale ale is also awesome, imo it's better than sierra nevada PA

Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Deschutes is the most non-colorado craft brew I drink, would love to try their reserve series porters and stout.