Adding raspberries and blueberries to already fermented cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfhart

Reaction score
I am brewing a extremely simple cider, just store bought juice and some ale yeast. It has been brewing for 3 weeks now. I am sure it is done fermenting by this point and am planning to move it over to a secondary fermentor to hopefully clear some.

I would like to add some berries for flavor. How do I do this? Rinse in vodka, squish and put in the secondary? Or is further preparation required?

whats the abv of your cider? when i add blueberries to mead, i heat them gently, then squish them, then pour them through a filter. the liquid juice still clumps up at the top of the carboy, where it hangs out for two weeks until i rack off it. always works great. takes an unbelievable amount of blueberries to actually get the flavor, mainly you will just get color, which is awesome.

I started with a gravity of 1.051. I haven't been able to measure the current gravity because my hydrometer broke. And my new one is too big to fit in the jug.

If my cider makes it down to 1.000 like it seems a lot of people's do, I expect the abv to be around 6% (at least that is what my abv calculator says)

I only have 1 package of blueberries and 1 package of raspberries. I may have to wait on this for another time or go with store made juice.

1 package of blueberries will give you color. i doubt one package of raspberries will do much. if you want, just wash all the fruit off with really hot water, then dump the fruit in a small bowl with some one step or star san, then take them out, strain them, give the blues a quick squish, then toss the whole mess in there, skins and all. at the least it will be pretty to look at.

i wouldn't leave them in for more than two weeks, then rack off and wait for it to clear again.
be sure to let us know how it turns out. i still have a bunch of frozen blues off my bushes, might toss a few pounds into one of my ciders if it goes well for you.

Back