Lets all drop the SWMBO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the_Wife is going to be highly amused when I tell her about these thirty-odd blokes (plus Yooper) trying to decide what is and is not offensive to women.

RDWHAHB. And if you don't, BMSMA.

Down with SWMBO, indeed!

I was going to say "don't get me started" but... you got me started.

It rankles me the same as the expression, "The wife."

The other thing I think of when I read or hear the expression is that those who use it are in some kind of an odd relationship where they can't go buy and ounce of hops without permission from "The wife".

There. I said it. It's offensive to women and it's offensive to those who use it.
Agreed, we should all start using our wife's real names when dealing with a bunch of strangers online :rolleyes:

Has world has lost it's sense of humor? :(
apparently.

I mean, for all y'all know, I really DO have to obey the_Wife. She could be a Yooper-esque dominatrix who'll electroshock my balls if I don't do what she says. Who are you all to judge?

I mean, for all y'all know, I really DO have to obey the_Wife. She could be a Yooper-esque dominatrix who'll electroshock my balls if I don't do what she says. Who are you all to judge?

What I love about you is that you always make me sound so charming. :rockin:

I think having a sense of humor is important. SWMBO is not an offensive term at all, as we all know it's tongue in check.

It goes along with the old phrase: "Happy wife, happy life". I don't think anybody in the world believes that the only key to happiness is to make his wife happy. But.........it never hurts to try!

Meh. I don't use SWMBO. I use wife. But I do use RDWHAHB. But I've been thinking about changing that up with something easier, like:

CHILL

How about being honest and telling the truth? Yes Bozo, you pitched at 90f, your beer is gonna suck, not *******. Or, I hope a glass shard imbeds itself in your face because you bottled at .030 instead of listening to sound advice, not *******. Stop effing relaxing and actually plan out a brew day and execute your plan!!!
A07.gif

I feel much better now.:)

_

Seriously. It's not like you're calling her the grumpy old *****. Then you'd really get one of those Yooper style beatings.

(grumpy old *****! grumpy old *****! grumpy old *****!) :D

I think GOB is a good alternative to SWMBO.

But really I thought this was going to be about leaving our SWMBO so we could brew more

Oh yeah, I love that one too. 'hey I pitched a billion yeast cells and my wort turned blue'

Relax don't worry, have. . . .

Some would argue that the abbreviations in question are more of the forum's lexicon not so much the hobby's.

Swmbo and rdwhahb, really?

I.... but I've found that all of the homebrew forums call our ladies SWMBO.......]

And what site DOESN'T use rdwhahb????

I've heard them both uttered by non forum brewers at meetings and group brews all the time...they're both part of the HB culture's lexicon, not just limited to the web.

This I hate swmbo thread isn't even as mildly amusing as previous i hate Swmbo threads.

Anyone remember this thread???? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/who-wears-pants-round-here-72230/

Or this one?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/why-i-hate-swmbo-71202/

I can't see how anyone could think it's demeaning to women (men maybe) since the original swmbo was a powerful woman.

The first use of swmbo was in the serialized novel "She" (who must be obeyed) by H. Rider Haggard published between October 1886 to January 1887....IIRC it is part of the Alan Quartermain novels...Remember the movie King Solomon's Mine

And the Sean Connery Character in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51G1TFS54JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You can read the novel online it looks like...Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

And Ursula Andres made a damn fine looking one in the 1966 film version.

She_movie.jpg

ua012.jpg

huminahuminahumina!!!!!!

for the women that dont like SWMBO try calling them a BALL AND CHAIN it might be more accurate....no humor

Don't think you could find a post of me calling my wife SWMBO. We're a partnership that works really well. We started a successful business together and are rarely more than 50' apart by our mutual choice. Been living together like this for over 20 years.

However, I have lots of friends in great relationships that like to joke and tease with stuff like this. As long as the SWMBO is ok with it, why not?

How about being honest and telling the truth? Yes Bozo, you pitched at 90f, your beer is gonna suck, not *******. Or, I hope a glass shard imbeds itself in your face because you bottled at .030 instead of listening to sound advice, not *******. Stop effing relaxing and actually plan out a brew day and execute your plan!!!
A07.gif

I feel much better now.:)

_

I think the point is that you can RDWHAHB if you plan. Or not. I don't think most people are against planning. I plan all the time. And a good part of my stress free brew days are due to planning. But also from experience. From brewing many times. But let's face it, I don't care how long you've been brewing, at some point something is going to go wrong. And what's so wrong with RDWHAHB then?

Back