Partygyle pumpkin porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfarts79

Reaction score
So my wife got fired a couple weeks ago and my homebrew budget was slashed, (Obama should take note!) This got me thinking economic beer brewing. I really wanted a Pumpkin Porter for Turkey Day and it is now brewed! I then got the Partygyle started in the form of an intended Black IPA from second runnings.... So far it seams a success!

Grain bill
21# 2 row
.75# crystal 60
.75# chocolate
1 hour mash at 153ish ran off six gallons using 153 sparge water ( I wanted not to kill the sugar rest)

60 min- 1/2oz galena, 2- 30oz cans pumpkin in a grain bag tied to side of brewpot

15 min- 1/2 oz cascade, 1 cup brown sugar, spices to taste (be careful not to add too much)
OG- 1.082

2nd batch and many many beers later..

2nd runnings- mashed with another 6 gallons an sparged just enough to run out six gallons, took a pre boil gravity (1.035) a little lower than I wanted and color was lighter than hoped for so I added some plain extra dark dme and some light dme. Then I went hop stupid and got out any hops that were left in house and added them continuously for the whole boil. 7ish ounces of about 5 different varieties. Galena, Mt hood, tett, Columbus, cascade, chinook. I guess that was six but at this point I was doing good to stand there and stir, much less measure and record!!!

Now, this was a long night and I am all alone as my final batch is chilling. The wort of the pumpkin porter was so good my wife and friends asked for seconds! Not too sweet an I nailed the spices, very promising. Black IPA is more of a deep amber so next time I may either steep some chocolate or black patent or go for something amber. Flavor is good, Mighty Hoppy! We will see in about 6 weeks...

Latest posts

Back