Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Molasses flavor

Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Miclip

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Truckee, CA

Hi

Our first brew is ready to drink, an extract IPA. We steeped some grains so not sure if that is considered a partial mash. Anyway we tried a bottle earlier in the week and it was a bit flat so left it for another week. Now it's a little more carbonated but has a strong molasses flavour. I googled it but can only find folks were they added molasses which we didn't. Is this normal should we give it more time?

Thanks.

Free brewing software in the cloud, easily share & rate recipes, automatic conversions, brewing calculations and lots more! MyBrewCo.com | Support | Blog

Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

It is still green. Give it more time.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Captain Damage

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lowell, Massachusetts
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

First off, just to clear it up you're doing "extract+grains," not a partial mash.

Molasses flavor is a little strange fro an IPA, but not likely an indication that anything is wrong. Like Avidhomebrewer said, it's probably just green, i.e., young and not quite ready to drink. Give it another week and try it again.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 09-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3202 Times on 1889 Posts

What were the grains you steeped? Also how old was the extract?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Miclip

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Truckee, CA

Grains :

1.5 lbs 2 row
.5 20 L
.5 carapils

Steeped for 45mins @ 155

We brewed it the day we bought it from the LHBS here in SF. Don't know how old the LME was but they're a pretty busy store so would imagine it doesn't sit around for too long.

Free brewing software in the cloud, easily share & rate recipes, automatic conversions, brewing calculations and lots more! MyBrewCo.com | Support | Blog

Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Captain Damage

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lowell, Massachusetts
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

OK I take it back, you have 2-row in there so you were indeed partial mashing, as opposed to steeping.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3202 Times on 1889 Posts

Man I'm stumped. So what part of mollasses flavor does it remind you of? Is it burnt caramel or is it sulphuric?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Miclip

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Truckee, CA

So partial mashing just includes a base malt?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts

Could you have scorched the extract when you added it to the pot on your stove? Did you take the pot of the heat source before adding the extract? That stuff is dense and it needs to be stirred thoroughly OFF the heat before returning it to the flame/coil. Other than that, as others have said -- give the beer a minimum of 3 weeks in the bottle before cracking open another one.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Miclip

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Truckee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Man I'm stumped. So what part of mollasses flavor does it remind you of? Is it burnt caramel or is it sulphuric?
Maybe burnt caramel. Went to a rum distillery in Australia and it reminds me of trying the purified molasses. Tried a beer earlier in the week and it was a little flat but didn't notice the molasses.

I guess just give it more time and see what happens, not like I can do much about it anyways.