Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Stick with extract for fun and beer

Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
boswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Stick with extract for fun and beer

I figured I'd add this thread because I know when brewing you want to get more and more technical. I've been brewing off and on for awhile, got into all grain, you know, so I could 'control' the process. My son came along, and with the old lady and I working, I just don't have an 8hr day to destroy the house, so the other day I just bought some DME, grabbed what hops I had in the freezer, a little honey and I had brewed a big hoppy beer AND a mead all while my son napped. Cleaned up my mess while I made him some pasta, kitchen cleaned, day over in a couple hours. +1 to keeping it simple!

Hmmmbeeer Likes This 
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I agree. I do both extract and BIAB and am not even considering buying all that extra stuff to "control my process".

I couldnt be happier with BIAB - mashing is pretty fun and low work/anxiety. Mash while mowing the yard or playing with the kids. Less to clean. And the beers have been great!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been having fun with partial batches, but that's as far as I want to go. It's too time consuming, more equipment I don't have room for, etc. Sometimes I need to brew and be cleaned up in two hours, sometimes I have time to play with partial mash. It's all good and so is the beer.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 463

I've made some fantastic brews with extract and have been planning to someday soon try all grain. But does it really take 8 hours? What about BIAB? If it really takes that long I may reconsider.

Rev.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
BBKing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
I've made some fantastic brews with extract and have been planning to someday soon try all grain. But does it really take 8 hours? What about BIAB? If it really takes that long I may reconsider.

Rev.
No. I did an AG Scottish 80 the other day in just over 4 hours from heating my strike to clean up. I batch sparge though, its my understanding that fly sparging takes longer.

You can make beer as easy or as difficult as you want to man.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I probably brew for 8 hours. I have to hand crank the crusher and I am still chilling via ice bath which is a PITA. I love killing the day on a brew. To each their own. My favorite part is when you lauter and get to see what it looks like coming out of the tun. I would never go back to extract. To each their own like I say.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
I love killing the day on a brew. To each their own.
I love brewing myself. Problem for me is I'm also a musician and dedicate a lot of my weekend time to writing/recording etc. So I don't often have as much time available as I'd like and if it takes significantly longer it's not like I could even do it after coming home from work on weeknights. 4 hours as BBKing mentioned seems fine though. 8 is a bit much for me at the moment unfortunately.

Hell, if it were up to me I'd brew for a living - well second to having a successful music career of course

Rev.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010

I love brewing myself. Problem for me is I'm also a musician and dedicate a lot of my weekend time to writing/recording etc. So I don't often have as much time available as I'd like and if it takes significantly longer it's not like I could even do it after coming home from work on weeknights. 4 hours as BBKing mentioned seems fine though. 8 is a bit much for me at the moment unfortunately.

Hell, if it were up to me I'd brew for a living - well second to having a successful music career of course

Rev.
I just gave up my music career. I ran a label even for 3 years. All kinds of time for brewing now!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
I do Partial Mash, BIAB, and it takes me about 5 hours from start to cleaned up. I'm sure there is time that could be taken out, but I have become comfortable with my process, and don't want to rush it; I'd probably start missing things.

When rushed, I'll occasionally do a steep/extract/late hop process (30 minute boil) and it can take as little as 2 hours from start to finish. .... well maybe 2.5 hours.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 155

If I could have gotten fresh extract and yeast when I started brewing I may have stuck with it, but that wasn't the case.. I've been brewing AG for 15 years now and can't see any reason to ever go back, with one exception. I have the stuff to brew a batch of GF beer for a friend, it will be all extract.