Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Newbie Looking for Good Recipes
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Newbie Looking for Good Recipes

Hey yall, I'm new to homebrewing something to just pass the time I guess, right now in the works I have a 15 litre batch of maple blue agave wine, just out of spontaneity, but anyways, I'm looking for some good recipes for mead right now. On my mind I'm thinking coffee mead at the moment, I just tested a cold brew recipe from the net that turned out nicely. The only mead I've made was an orange melomel, it wasn't great, but decent. Any recent recipes anyone would like to share that have turned out well?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Liked 174 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 73

There are loads of recipes in the recipe database.

I think my easiest recipe that I make every year is my Simple Cyser. 5 gal of fresh cider, 1 gal of honey, yeast, staggered nutrient additions. I let it clear right in primary, and bottle directly from there...usually clears in 3-4 months. For yeast, I've used Wyeast Dry Mead, and 71B (I think I like the Wyeast a little better, but the 71B from last year is still aging out, and I'm talking a marginal preference, which could easily be because the 71B version is still young.) This year I'm going to try it with the White Labs Dry English Cider strain that I used on my cider, and really, really liked.
Packaged: Dry's been a crazy summer...
Recent Meads: Simple Cyser '14
Primary: Empty!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider
Planned: Some sort of SMaSH. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
3 Dog Brew
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Having gone through all the trials of making stuff up and having it come out questionable or trying to follow the advice of others, what I have found is that the mead you can make is very dependent on the honey available to you.

I have had great success doing a very simple 3lbs per gallon (6 lbs of honey and fill with water to 2 gallons). Use hot water only to rinse out your honey container (if needed) and rehydrate and pitch a packet of Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast. Takes about a month to ferment at controlled 68 degrees F and about 5 more months to clear.

Works like a charm, is easy and as long as you control the fermentation temp, very forgiving. Once you have that down, try experimenting with adding fruit, wort or spices.

not trying to be preachy, just sharing what has worked for me after many attempts and using other wine yeasts, liquid mead yeasts, etc. with substandard results.
3 Dog Brewery - "Sit, Stay. Good Beer!"
3 Dog Blog 3DogBrew/
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station