Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > possible screw up?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
TSimpsonbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default possible screw up?

i just finished brewing my first beer ever. i was doing a pale ale. i did everything the instructions said and my O.G. which is specific gravity? is at 1.020. what does this mean is my beer gonna be water or what? i dont know much about brewing, any ideas would help. i started steeping at 160 degrees and it did drop down to 148 for maybe 5 mins before i got it back up to 155.i added the DME and half the hops after steeping and had a low boil going stirring every 5 mins for 50 mins. added some irish moss and the rest of the hops and boiled for another 6 mins. did i do something wrong in the process?

thanks for any advice

Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
CaveBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is the recipe? That is a very low OG are you sure your hydrometer works?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
swoof
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As Cave said, "what is the recipe?" If you were doing extract only your OG should not differ much from what was calculated.

You might be dealing with a bad hydrometer or more likely a difference in density because your wort sank to the bottom of the fermenter after topping off with water. How did you take your sample?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
umopepisdn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, that is low for an OG. 1st, did you let the wort cool before taking a reading? And 2nd, what is the recipe? How much DME and specialty grains did you add?

Fermenting:
Belgian Golden Strong ale
Bottled and waiting:
Imperial IPA 5 gal
A batch of IPA 5 gallons, split to half wyeast American ale and half wyeast British ale
Bottled and being consumed
Nothing, friends cleared me out like a batch of piranhas, sign I am getting better I guess