You know the problem with quaffable beer? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > You know the problem with quaffable beer?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

I tell ya, there's a big problem with quaffable beer. You know, a beer that you can sit down and have a few, then maybe a few more (definition of a session beer). The kind your friends & SWMBO enjoy as well.

The problem is that it does not last very long.

I need to brew my Haus Ale more often or in bigger batches, cause it is going down quick and easy....

Old 04-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's a lot better than having a whole bunch of skunked BMC around that no one wants to drink!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
MA_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Northborough, MA
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I need to brew my Haus Ale more often or in bigger batches, cause it is going down quick and easy....
I hope mine came out as good as yours - I have a batch of your Haus Ale I need to transfer into a keg, it has been two weeks since brewday. How long do you age before tapping?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_Brewer
I hope mine came out as good as yours - I have a batch of your Haus Ale I need to transfer into a keg, it has been two weeks since brewday. How long do you age before tapping?
I'd age it at least 2 weeks if you have patience. It will take a week to carb anyway. That's why I'm working to have a stock of multiple kegs, carbed & waiting.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
MA_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Northborough, MA
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'd age it at least 2 weeks if you have patience. It will take a week to carb anyway. That's why I'm working to have a stock of multiple kegs, carbed & waiting.

Let me know how yours turns out.
2 Weeks shouldn't be a problem...do you rack to keg and put straight into the fridge, or leave out at cellar temp?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_Brewer
2 Weeks shouldn't be a problem...do you rack to keg and put straight into the fridge, or leave out at cellar temp?
I rack and put it on gas. I can have 3 kegs chillin & carbing in the garage at one time plus have room for crash cooling a bucket fermenter. The keg I have on tap now was brewed 2/16, so it's about 7 weeks old. My Kolsch I won't touch till at least 2 months from now, and it will be in cold storage too.

I have a fridge in the garage too for storing kegs. It will keep about 6 kegs chilled.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Bent Rod Rye is probably the lowest gravity Brew I make and it just doesn't last. Nice hops without the stupefying ABV most hoppy ales have.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Brewiz

Recipes 

May 2005
Stockbridge, Ga
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I tell ya, there's a big problem with quaffable beer. You know, a beer that you can sit down and have a few, then maybe a few more (definition of a session beer). The kind your friends & SWMBO enjoy as well.

The problem is that it does not last very long.

Man, are you right about that. I got the idea of having a "house" beer from you and now it's hard to keep up. I've got maybe 4 gallons left to drink, 10 in secondary (need to dry hop today) and 10 in primary that I have to transfer today. Man is this fun.......

Old 04-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

I hear ya. I got the idea from UNOmar back on his post back in September of last year. He talked about having a "House" Pale Ale that was simple to make using bulk buys of grain & hops. I have all the ingredients on hand and since I use Nottingham, I can brew a batch of it whenever I feel like it without having to time a starter. My ingredient costs for a batch are less than $7.50 for a batch (and that's paying retail for the yeast and Crystal 10L).