Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Chi-town beginner
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Tsarkon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chi-town beginner

Hello from Chicago!

My interest was sparked this past year by some friends that brew and now that I live within bicycling distance between two ingredient/equipment stores I've made the leap into homebrewing myself. I love it! Right now I've got 5gals of traditional blackberry mead fermenting in my basement. I'm thinking a stout or a red ale should be in the woodworks since we've had a turn for chillier weather in the windy city.

Any cold weather beer suggestions?


Tsarkon is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Kegcowboy
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,114
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Wear a jacket and don't use yellow snow to cool your wort.- Welcome!


Kegcowboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
TheRabidKumquat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mt. Greenwood, Chicago
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Nice to see another mead maker in Chicago. With the cooler weather I'm starting to return from my hiatus I take in the summer. If you're looking for a Red: I've made Rolf's Irish Red and it was a batch that I was sad to see gone. Used it a lot in cooking, gave some away to friends who like reds and it was well received.
TheRabidKumquat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Tsarkon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegcowboy
Wear a jacket and don't use yellow snow to cool your wort.- Welcome!
Best advice ever!
Tsarkon is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,541
Liked 1191 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 2297

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarkon View Post
Hello from Chicago!

My interest was sparked this past year by some friends that brew and now that I live within bicycling distance between two ingredient/equipment stores I've made the leap into homebrewing myself. I love it! Right now I've got 5gals of traditional blackberry mead fermenting in my basement. I'm thinking a stout or a red ale should be in the woodworks since we've had a turn for chillier weather in the windy city.

Any cold weather beer suggestions?
Welcome, Tsarkon, from the southwest part of Chicago! I've got an American Amber Ale in the fermenter right now - always a good choice for Fall. I've got the honey for a traditional semi-dry mead and need to put it together, maybe today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapidKumquat
Nice to see another mead maker in Chicago. With the cooler weather I'm starting to return from my hiatus I take in the summer. If you're looking for a Red: I've made Rolf's Irish Red and it was a batch that I was sad to see gone. Used it a lot in cooking, gave some away to friends who like reds and it was well received.
Hey neighbor, I'm in Oak Lawn.
Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WheeledGoat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 171
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Hello from Wheaton over here!

Why is our Chicago group so dead? I'm going to need to do another 2-row bulk buy soon, we should get coordinated!

Welcome, Tsarkon!!
__________________
Primary: Imperial IPA, Biermuncher's OctoberFAST, Zombie Dust
Secondary: Caberlot (my first wine!)
Cold Crashing: Goat's Spare Tire
Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT
WheeledGoat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
catmanbrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
catmanbrews's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5
Default

Welcome to the HomewBrewTalk....for Winter beers, try an Octoberfest!!!
I have a website with a good recipe: http://www.catmanbrews.com/john/beer.html

Cheers

John


catmanbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings...New Guy in Town... Sabio Introductions 5 02-24-2011 01:23 AM
New in town take2brew Introductions 1 11-11-2010 12:23 AM
New from the chi town CheaplyVenal Introductions 9 05-27-2010 11:21 PM
Greetings from Chi town Archibaldi Introductions 9 04-05-2009 12:25 PM
Hello From E-Town Anderz Introductions 4 01-02-2009 04:35 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS