Bottling- same batch/ 1 bottle infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geer537

Reaction score
Hello all!

I don't bottle much but I recently enetered the county fair (did pretty good too- 2nd and two 3rd place entries :mug:). During that session I bottled all of my beers after sanitizingin oxiclean then spraying them down with starsan.

I used the same solution for everything and let the bottles soak in Oxiclean over night, rinsed and starsan. Then to a borrowed bottling tree to dry while bottling. I put a few Grolsch style bottles back for myself and recently shared one with a new brewer I met. I was horrified to taste green apple out of the bottle. I didn't detect any gasget leaks, there was a nice pop when I opened the bottle and the rest of the bottles that I capped with normal bottle caps turned out fine. Also the we kicked the keg on this particular IPA and it was fantastic to the last drop. The botlles are less than a month old.

What would cause off flavors in a single bottle that was cleaned and sanitized using the same liquids and bottling wand as the rest of my bottles that turned out fine?

For now I am just pitching that bottle to be safe but it would be nice to avoid in the future though.

I had a batch which was a bit undercarbed except for one that a friend got which was significantly overcarbed, and by his description, smelled like cheese.

I think every once in a while you're gonna get a bottle that there's a small speck of something stuck in, or the right fleck of dust falls into it while bottling, or whatever else, that least to the random bottle infections. Try to look on the bright side that its only the one bottle and the rest of the batch is good! :D

Very true- I was worried because I had a lager in one of my other kegs that went south and tasted exactly the same; wierd for an IPA and a Lager to turn out the same but it was this horrible green apple flavor. I figured I had oxygenated it after fermentation or somethig. I changed all connections and cleaned my system thoroughly before brewing again. Then like magic- 2 months later I get 1 bottle out of a batch to taste that way and the worst part was that I was super proud of this one when I shared it. The guy I shared it with was one of the winners of Sierra Nevad's Beer Camp and his beer is in the mixed 12 pack... Luckily I had a stout that totally redeemed me but still...

I have had an infection in a single bottle. I don't think it was rinsed well when emptied and then grew some funk in it. It was the only one in the batch like that, and that's the best explanation i could come up with.

Back