Originally Posted by golfduke
Brewed this up yesterday. I collected 1gal too much wort for some reason even after a 90 minute boil. Ended up with 6gal at 1.092. I have a feeling my grain absorption rates need to be adjusted in beersmith. I've been overcollecting lately, but just not by this much.
Regardless, I'm satisfied with the result. 1 thing about this beer though- I made a stepped 3l starter and this thing absolutely exploded right off the bat. We're talking 'I needed to use a 5 gallon bucket just to control the blowoff' violent fermentation at <12 hours in.
Dynamite recipe. Not surprised the yeast are having a party.
I remember overcollecting this one too. These days I have a calibrated stick for my boil kettle so I can know ahead of time whether I need to boil longer. Made a huge difference for hitting my gravity targets.
Primary: Janet's Brown Ale | 2013 EdWort's Apfelwein | 2012 JAOM 3-gal | 2013 JAOM 5-gal
Secondary: 2013 Velvet Hammer RIS | 2012 Kit Raspberry Merlot
Bottled: 2014 Peach Sauvignon Blanc | Rich's Legal Wit | 2013 Fireside Barleywine | 2007 Oaked orange blossom mead | 2013 Kit Cabernet
Kegged: 2014 Peach Sauvignon Blanc, sparkling | Mole' Porter
On Deck: Black Cherry Ancho Chile Mead | Leffe Blond clone