Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > making wine..

Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
rohan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default making wine..

hi guys. i have never made wine before and was thinking about it... i have made a few beer brews and was just wondering if it is preety much the same. do you use the same fermenter?? i only have 1. and put it into secondry or straight into bottles??

thanks guys..

ps: can you put it into beer bottles??

Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So many questions! Depends on what type of wine, what gear you have and how long you want to wait before you drink it! I have country wine racked up that can't be drunk for approximately 18 months. Wine takes longer than beer to age out, you might want to look into it a bit more before committing to the 'smaller section' (i.e. wine discussion!) of this forum. Get some wine bottles, get a(nother) carbuoy, a wine kit and give it a go. Rack it off, get a beer back on primary and think about your 'wine futures'. With the little outlay of a few wine bottles (recycled for free in your area?) and a plastic carbuoy, wait till you can taste and decide. (Save your beer bottles for the Beer!)

Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
rohan
Recipes 

i just have a fermenter so i will need to get some wine bottles but that wont be a problem. i know it will take longer but thats no problem. i just want to give it ago.. i think i will try a batch soon. see how she turns out... thanks for you advice mate...

Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's like caplan says.

If you want good wine it can take 12 months plus.
If you want wine like the Bars and pubs serve from a tap you can do that in 4 weeks. There are some kits available that you can drink in 7 days but they rely on flavourings etc.

The ones that are ready in less than a few months stop the fermentation and add lots of finings.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS gave me some free half bottle wine samples (red and white) that were made from a kit. They tasted great!

I am therefore also thinking about trying one of those small wine kits (6 bottles). Are they any good? I'm also thinking about using an old 5 litre water bottle to ferment in (pop a hole in the top with a grommet for the airlock). I guess this type of fermenter would do as they sell them in HBS?

Old 10-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

I've had some awesome home made wines and some that I told the brewer he should market as gourmet vinegar. While I'm very proud to serve home made beer, I'd be less assured to serve home-made wine to those I'm trying to impress.

then again, I live in Illinois where you can't grow grapes. But my grandma and grandpa were bootleggers and used to grow grapes and make wine way back when.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlightyBrewer
My LHBS gave me some free half bottle wine samples (red and white) that were made from a kit. They tasted great!

I am therefore also thinking about trying one of those small wine kits (6 bottles). Are they any good? I'm also thinking about using an old 5 litre water bottle to ferment in (pop a hole in the top with a grommet for the airlock). I guess this type of fermenter would do as they sell them in HBS?
No initial problem there i'm sure as long as it's new and from a reliable source and the airlock fits. Be careful with overactive yeast in the primary though, foaming and popping out airlocks you can do without!